Chapter 26

3-9-22 - Smut warning:)

"Gabe Alexander Hayes has hereby been proven guilty of the following  charges: Sexual Assault in the first degree. Domestic violence in the second degree." The judge's words fade into the background as a flood of emotions course through me.

We won. It's over.

The judge announces that Gabe's sentencing will be handed down in two to three weeks, and we're finally dismissed. The moment I stand and pass through the gate into the audience section, Rylie is in my arms.

"It's over." She breathes into my hair.

"It's finally over." I echo, letting myself finally breathe after weeks of holding my breath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we finally leave the courthouse for the last time, it's past dinnertime. "How about we go somewhere for dinner to celebrate?" My mom asks Rylie and I. A smile slips onto my lips, the first real smile I could remember all week.

"That sounds great." I reply before turning to Melody and William. "I want to thank you both for everything you've done for me. I don't even know how I could ever repay you."

"Be happy. Live your life to the fullest. Don't let what Gabe did to you hold you back from anything. Instead, let it be the part of your story that made you stronger than you were before." Melody tells me gently. I can't hold back my tears, nor do I really want to. She pulls me in for a hug.

"Thank you." I whisper, and she squeezes me tighter. I knew I would see both Melody and William again in the following weeks, but it was still hard saying goodbye to them. They had both helped me so much.

I take Rylie's hand as we drive to the restaurant, letting myself enjoy all of the emotions that were still flowing through me. Gabe was finally getting the punishment he deserved.

In the back of my mind, I remember the judge saying his sentence would be handed down in the next two to three weeks. Was that normal? I briefly wonder where he will be during that time, but the thought gets pushed from my mind as we arrive at the restaurant.

But maybe I should've held onto that thought just a little bit longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next two weeks pass quickly. I spend most of my days at work now that I don't have classes, and Rylie does the same at the vet. They'd hired her on full time during the break, and she was loving every second of it.

The morning of July 9th, I wake up and roll over to find Rylie's eyes on mine. "Do you know what day it is?" She asks in a sleepy, but happy voice. I did know what day it was, but she doesn't give me a chance to respond. "I kissed you for the first time exactly a year ago."

"I do remember." I grin, moving slightly closer to her. "That day is something I'll never forget."

"You know..." Rylie begins, trailing a finger across my collarbone. "We were both working on the 4th of July, and today is our anniversary... what would you say if I planned a little getaway to celebrate both occasions?"

"I wouldn't know what to say, but I might cry a little." I confess with a small laugh. "But I feel awful, Ry. I didn't plan anything."

"Please don't feel bad at all! With everything going on the last few weeks, it makes sense that this kind of got put on the back burner."

On the 4th of July last year, our group of friends at camp, the Salty Christians, had gone to the fair, and then fireworks on the beach afterwards. On the way home, Rylie and I had finally held hands after weeks of wondering if the feelings were mutual. Then on the 9th, we'd finally kissed. Having a little anniversary getaway with Rylie sounded amazing.