The Fire Tower

3.13.2022

After changing, we borrow some boards from under the cabin before making the familiar walk over to the beach. The asphalt is hot on our bare feet as we cross the street and walk between the beach houses in front of the camp. The sand is even hotter, and Rylie and I laugh as we race to the water.

I haven't surfed near as much this summer as I did last summer, but my skills were still as good as ever. I hadn't won first in the entire surf competition just by luck.

"Aspen!" Derek calls to me from where he bobs in the water a few yards away. "How are your cousins?"

"They're great." I laugh. Derek had been a little upset to learn that I'd kept my cousin's identity a secret. My famous professional surfer cousins, that is.

"Will they come to the final competition?"

"They're judging again, so yeah. I'll be there too, I know that was your next question." I joke, and Derek grins.

"You and Rylie, I assume?"

"Of course. We're a package deal." I smile.

"I better be on the guest list for the wedding." Derek winks and I blush.

It must really be obvious, huh?

"Yo," Jeremy lays on his stomach on his board, paddling towards Derek and I. "Y'all got any plans for the rest of the night?"

"Nope." Derek and I say in unison.

"Great. Sydnee, Alyssa and Austin are going to stay back but Josh is in. We're gonna go back to the fire tower, y'all in?"

The excitement that lights up my face must be pretty obvious, because both Jeremy and Derek laugh.

"I'll take that as a yes for Aspen!"

"Count me in, too!" Derek says.

"Sweet! I'll pass this on to Sam and Emma. They're in too, which is surprising considering their wedding is tomorrow." With that, Jeremy paddles towards Rylie.

"You like the fire tower, huh?" Derek says, turning his board in the water back towards me.

"I love it. That was one of my favorite nights here!"

We'd spent one evening last year at the abandoned fire tower eating, hanging out, and telling scary stories. It was such a unique place, but it was also beautiful, despite being a bit spooky. I was so excited to go back.

As I'm lost in thought, I suddenly feel the pull of a wave. A big wave.

"Uh-oh." Derek says, and we both turn to the wave at the same time, watching as it quickly nears us. I slip onto my stomach and start paddling, and Derek does the same, but as the wave begins to crest, he's in just the wrong spot and he falls back. I barely manage to catch it in time, and ride in the tunnel of the wave for a beat before coming out.

I keep my knees bent in order to keep my balance, and throw in a few small tricks and maneuvers before the wave begins to end. The moment before it ends, I decide at the last second to try a flip. It doesn't go well.

I fly off the top of the wave and feel my board slip out from underneath my feet. I'm in the air for a moment, and then rushing back towards the water. I manage to cradle my wrist before impact, and I safely pop above the surface several moments later.

"Aspen!" I hear a nearby voice and turn to see Rylie paddling quickly towards me. "Are you okay? Is your wrist hurt?" Worry fills her eyes.

"I'm okay! It wasn't even that bad." I smile reassuringly, but the worry doesn't leave her eyes.