Vet Day

On my way out of my last class on Thursday, my phone buzzes with an incoming call. "Hey, Ry." I answer the phone with a smile. "What's up?"

"I'm hoping you haven't left for the vet yet."

"Not yet, I'm just on the way to get Harvey now, and then we'll head over to you."

"Oh, good! I need a new pair of scrub pants." I can hear the desperation in Rylie's voice, and fail at holding in my laugh. "Don't laugh!" She whines.

"I'm sorry, you just sound..."

"Humiliated? Distraught? Upset?"

"Well... what happened?" I ask, avoiding her question.

"A pig happened." Rylie grumbles. "Picture this," She explains, and I grin as I climb into my car to head home. "It's the most boring day this week. We only have one appointment, so I'm mopping for the third time today. You with me?"

"Yes." I reply with a laugh.

"Good. So I'm moping, and we get a phone call. Jade answers, and five minutes later, she comes in saying we've got an appointment for neutering a pig! We were so excited, we'd never done that before! Fast forward two hours, we've got the pig on the table, and I'm taking the clippers to the coarse... lower region hair, and I feel warm liquid spreading down my legs. The pig was knocked out and peed on me, Aspen!"

I can't do it. I cannot hold back my laughter. The light in front of me changes from yellow to red, and I slow down before coming to a stop. The person in the car next to me doesn't seem to approve of my laughter, but I don't care.

"Aspen," Rylie whines again. "I've never been so humiliated. Dr. Evans and the other techs won't let it go!"

Somehow, I manage to slow my laughter. "I'm so sorry, Ry. But that is kind of funny..."

"I knew you'd think so." Rylie growls, bringing another bout of laughter.

"But think about it, now you have a story to tell Kylie and Benny over dinner tonight!"

"There's no way in hell I'm telling anyone else this story!" Rylie exclaims, finally laughing with me.

"Did the surgery go well, at least?" I pull up to our apartment and shut off the car before hurrying inside.

"It's still going, but so far so good. I just had to step out to call you so you could maybe bring me new pants..." She trails off with a short laugh.

"You know I'm always here for anything you need."

"Anything?" Rylie says with a strong suggestive tone.

"Anything." I laugh. "I'm grabbing the pants now, what color?"

"Grey."

"Got it. Alright, Harvey and I will be there in 15!"

"Drive safe."

"I will. Love you!"

"Love you."

I hang up my phone and slip it into my pocket before grabbing a leash and hooking it on an excited Harvey.

"You're excited now, but I bet you won't be when we pull up to the vet!" Harvey cocks his head and his tongue hangs out the side of his mouth, making me laugh. I grab the pants off of the counter and a granola bar before heading out the door.

When we pull up to the vet, Rylie is waiting outside the small, brick building. As soon as I open the door, Harvey bolts straight towards her. She grins before scooping him up.

"He has no idea, huh?" She says when I reach them.

"None at all." I laugh before quickly kissing her. "You don't smell like pee." I add with a straight face.