The Marsh

2-26-022: Hehe I forgot today's chapter until just now:) Saturdays throw off my routine lol. Sorry that the last chapter was a little more boring. This one is one of my favorites because of the marsh scene, so I hope you enjoy:)

Also! I've been adding pictures to chapters (hopefully they're showing up). Some of them have to do with the chapters, some don't, but they're all just for fun:) I've taken all of them myself and really associate a lot of them actually with individual chapters, so it's just a fun thing:)

By the time we leave Kristen's house, it's nearing 5:00pm. Kristen had put Harper down for a nap just before lunch, and then Rylie helped her with making some food for us.

After lunch, Kristen had ended up talking and playing with the boys much more than Rylie and I had expected. The boys loved it. Rylie and I had each taken turns holding Harper, although Rylie's turn had been much longer, not that I minded. I was glad she got a lot of time to hold her. Even though Harper wasn't even a week old yet, she and Rylie had such a strong bond. The pictures I got of them were definitely my favorite, too.

On the drive back to Brads house, the boys talk non-stop about baby Harper and how cute she is. When we get back to the house, they tell their dad all about it. Rylie and I laugh as he tries to focus his attention on all three boys as they talk excitedly.

"Thank you for taking them, Ry." Brad says softly once the boys are done.

"It was fun. I wish you could've come."

Brad shakes his head, smiling sadly. "Harper isn't my daughter. I'll have to watch from a distance and hope that your mother has changed enough to be able to love this baby the way she didn't love your brothers over these last few years."

"How did you forgive her, dad?"

"A lot of prayer and patience. I was really angry for a long time. But then I realized my anger wasn't helping anyone, especially you kids. I mean, look at Spencer. I don't know if he will ever forgive your mother. Or even want to meet Harper. The boys are young enough that they don't fully understand everything, they don't really know there's anything to forgive, just that their mom was gone for a long time. But you, you're old enough to understand everything and decide for yourself how you want to handle this." He pauses, taking a moment. "I'm proud of all of my children and love you each so much. But I've always been impressed with your heart and your willingness to give people chance after chance.

"I know how you feel about your mother, but over these last few months, I can see that you're really trying. I admire that so much, Rylie. I can only hope that Spencer will learn from you, too. I sure have." As Brad finishes speaking, Rylie wipes her eyes before hugging him tightly. I smile softly to myself, thankful that Brad sees the good in Rylie that I had been trying to show her all along. She was so good and I could only hope that she'd see it for herself soon.

"I am really surprised your car made it out here." Rylie laughs nervously from the passenger seat. I was surprised too, but I wasn't about to tell her that.

"Have ye no faith?" I tease before kissing her cheek and climbing out of the car. The drive to the marsh had taken a little longer than I thought since we'd had to follow this long dirt road full of potholes. Luckily, we'd left her family's house with plenty of time to get here.

I open the trunk and pull my gear out while Rylie double checks her hair. "You look amazing, love." I call, moving to open her door.

"Thank you." Rylie smiles before quickly kissing me.

The marsh is just as beautiful as I was hoping it would be. I'd done some research beforehand and knew that this area had a small pier... somewhere. Tall green grasses and reeds grow everywhere that there isn't water, while the water sits calmly everywhere else. From our vantage point, we could see the water winding in paths for miles in front of us through the green plants. The sun sends golden rays down, casting the perfect light that I'd been hoping for.