Chapter 16

"It is not darkness in my heart, just emptiness waiting for the sun."- Unknown.

Melissa's POV:

It's been four days since that storm appeared and shook our lives. I look at the clear sky wondering where things went wrong.

The asylum was surrounded by news reporters and police for two days. It was stated that Eric's car was attacked by serial killers but when Doctor Donald happened to pass by, he got involved too.

Rest is just based of theories of several people claiming that he worked with the serial killers. No one really knows who drugged Doctor Donald but it was assured that it happened around Eric's parent's death.

I breathe in sharply remembering the images of Bella's body taken away on a stretcher along with Chloe and Eric. Emma has lost her senses since the day her sister passed away. She became a shell without any soul.

After she came back from hospital biding her sister a final farewell, Emma changed. She barely talked or ate food, I had to feed her several times and stay with her during the nightfall.

Eric and Chloe were the only two who made it out alive from the gruesome and insane situation. Aiden happened to find Chloe after asking the sisters who witnessed her going upstairs that day. Since that day, Aiden zoned out from reality.

A shudder passes me recalling the past memories where A and I had to bear the horrendous murders of several people. If I were in his pace, I wouldn't act any different. He only tried to calm and stay by Emma's side the first two days, but she didn't react to anything or anyone.

Eric was severely injured like Chloe; both had to be evacuated to an emergency room in the hospital. Eric is still under recovery whereas Chloe got discharged from hospital today.

I tap my feet impatiently gazing at the black gates of the asylum. Chloe will be arriving anytime soon.

I heard the police did put Chloe under pressure, investigating about the case to no avail. They probably gave up, discovering Chloe suffers amnesia.

I glance over my shoulder, Xavier stood leaning against the wall. His eyes were set on the gate waiting for someone who killed his peace these past days.

I sigh and look away. Eric was supposed to start a new life, he didn't deserve such misfortune. My heart clenches in pain thinking about him. His next stay will be decided by the higher authorities after his recovery.

They provided the child heavy security until the case is solved, in case he might be attacked again.

My stomach twists, my anguish burning every ounce of my patience.

Everyone is lost after that day. I tried to console Emma and Aiden but they wouldn't respond to me. Xavier is the only one around since then, hiding his shock and discomfort to ease my worries.

Something about Xavier changed within me. He started to act more different and gained control over his self consciousness. The guy kept checking on three of us ever since Bella's death.

Several new doctors were hired in the asylum. Rachel and Trinity were busy with the police and the press. They kept visiting the town whenever the police summoned them.

The security cameras in the asylum screamed evidence for this case. They captured Dr.Donald returning to hospital late night in his car and taking out a huge jute sack, covering Eric's body in it.

Once he took the bag upstairs, he somehow wandered down only to find Bella outside the lady's washroom, heading towards her room. He dragged the helpless girl with him upstairs and no one was around to help.