Chapter 19

"How did I escape? With difficulty. How did I plan it? With pleasure." - Alexander Dumas.

Xavier's POV:

I slip on the soft blue sweater following Melissa who was already wearing her red sweater. She stood leaning against the wall watching Chloe.

Chloe wasn't wearing the usual uniform instead she's wearing her civil dress that she wore on her first day in this asylum.

I stare at her back in confusion along with Melissa.

Chloe rummaged through her side desk, in their room, stuffing a weird card in her backpack. I spot her shoving a small Nokia phone but didn't bother asking where she got it from.

It is possible she borrowed it from one of the nurses.

Aiden and Emma were nowhere in sight after having lunch. They simply disappeared the same way after breakfast just like yesterday.

"Chloe tell us already." She slings the backpack over her shoulders and turns to look at Melissa squealing in annoyance.

I observe her features that looked so tired and dull from everything that's going around in her head.

Her soft hazel eyes clash with mine and I had to gulp inwardly to act normal in front of her, ignoring the tantrums of my poor heart.

She presses her small lips into a thin line and walks towards both of us with a stern look.

"The keys, please." She looks at me and I dig in my side pocket feeling the metallic object and grab it.

I fling both the keys at her and she grabs them in mid air. She takes a deep breath and her eyes sparkled with a new fond fire and determination.

"We are escaping from here, today." My eyebrows shoot up to the hairline, leaving my jaw slightly open.

We were meant to escape tomorrow with Trinity.

"Hold up, what happened about running away with Trinity, we can't just leave her."

"Does Emma and A know about this?" Mel adds right after me.

She shakes her head, her entire stance changing and turning cold. "We are going alone, I got everything set up."

I didn't miss her emphasize on 'alone'.

She walks past us towards the door making me frown in more confusion.

"And Trinity?" I tilt my head at her. She halts before reaching for the door knob.

"She is helping the serial killer."

I stun at her words which came like a faint whisper. Melissa takes a step towards her, trying to reach Chloe.

"What.." Her voice trails off.

Trinity has always been close to all of us. The bitter betrayal dawned upon me.

It makes sense now. The reason we were doing things separately without knowing what others are up to.

It was Chloe's side plan.

To keep us all safe.

My heart aches wondering how much this girl have been through these past days.

I inhale loudly, looking at Mel sideways, "What are you waiting for, we got some escaping to do." I add a small smile trying to lighten up her mood.

The shock and betrayal was obvious on her face. I honestly can't stand and figure out how Chloe managed to discover this.