Chapter 23

"You can't be mad for losing something you didn't fight for."-Unknown

Chloe's POV:

I freeze, bewildered at another firing right behind me.

Xavier..

I hesitantly turn around, biting my lips to stop them from quivering. Xavier's pale and shocked expression stood few inches from me, staring back at me in horror.

He looks down at himself, inspecting if he got shot but finds nothing.

The man that was holding Xavier drops down with a soft thud on the dry leaves of the forest floor.

My heart thunders under my chest, threatening to come out. I heard a gasp from Victoria behind me.

She wasn't the one who shot.

I snap my head at the source of the firing to find Emma standing few feet away from us, holding the silver pistol between her palms that shook in fear.

My eyes brim with tears as she stood alive in front of me but she didn't spare a glance at me.

I narrow my eyes studying the change in her demeanor. Her eyes were bloodshot red and puffed. She was no longer wearing her sweater, showing her gown that was covered with mud and blood stains.

I gave a quick scan over her body, inspecting if she is wounded but found nothing to my relief.

Emma's entire frame was shaking in fear yet she tried to mask her terror, still aiming at the bald man. Her hands trembled even if she held the gun between both of her palms.

She didn't just escape that man Victoria had sent, but most likely witnessed Melissa and Aiden dead in that house. My heart clenches in agony seeing her.

I spot her wearing my backpack, a realization clicks to me.

There's a phone inside it. If I get a chance to call the police..-

My thoughts were cut off when Victoria reacts at the speed of a lightning bolt. She moved quickly past me that I didn't have any time to register her next tactic.

Victoria dashes towards Xavier who stood unaware of the witch behind him, staring at the man, taken aback.

She swings her arm with a large force, smashing the base of the gun at his head.

"No!" A scream leaves my mouth.

A soft moan of pain escapes Xavier's lips. His hands involuntarily clutch his head and he drops to his knees, falling beside the man dressed in black.

My eyes bulge out in horror leaving my jaw slightly open.

Victoria rushes to where I stood sending a dirty glare, her nostrils fuming in rage.

She wraps her arm around my neck making me choke at the sudden, hard impact. I grab her arm trying to thrash away to no luck.

She points the cold metallic pistol at my forehead, digging it deeper. I flinch, gasping for air making my chest burn. My vision becomes glossy.

"Drop that gun or I'll blow her head." She barks loudly, directing the threat towards Emma.

'N-n.." My voice trails off, unable to breathe under her strong grip.

This woman won't kill me unless she gets the antidote.

Don't fall for it Emma...

I watch as Emma's eyes widen seeing my red ones, tearing up in pain. Her lips quiver but she drops the gun, raising her hands in the air in surrender.