Chapter 22

"The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained." -Unknown

Chloe's POV:

"Don't move. I don't think twice before I shoot." She looked at me deadly from the corner of her eye as I stood up in horror.

Melissa clutched her leg, sobbing loudly. She was sprawled on the wooden flooring, drenched in her own pool of blood.

Her minions stood around, pointing their pistols at us.

One of them pulls the trigger the moment Aiden moves towards Melissa's helpless frame.

"Move one more step and she is dead." The aged man barks at Aiden, aiming at her. He raises his hands in surrender moving a step back, petrified seeing his sister's miserable state.

The brave girl tries to slow down her screams and bites her lips. At that moment, I knew she was trying to stay strong for her brother.

"Oh haven't I introduced myself? Oh my, how foolish of me." Victoria turns towards me with a small smile plastered on her face. "I'm Victoria, pleasure to finally meet you again Ava."

I didn't miss the silent hatred dripping from her tone when she took my name.

My face falls, I clench my sweaty palms knowing I'm standing in the same room with this monster, which took away plenty of innocent lives and murdered my parents.

She doesn't break our eye contact, and gestures her hand at the two men behind her. "Tie them up."

The chairs scattered around were put into good use by her minions, as they dragged me and the boys to those chairs , tying us.

I haven't notice that there were several ropes and bricks behind the large sacks of cement.

I didn't try to thrash away knowing Melissa's life is at risk if I took another step against Victoria's will.

One of the bald man, who had a scar of his face came to me and tied my hands on the arm rest. The ropes were too tight to set myself free, I could feel a nasty bruise making its way around my thin wrists.

Xavier was tied so was Aiden, they were seated at both of my sides with a good distance among us.

Melissa moans in pain as the man dragged her to the corner of the room, pulling her one leg. Blood stained the flooring all the way she was dragged.

I dig my nails into my palm, gritting my teeth.

I shut my eyes tightly trying to forget her vulnerable state. I can't come imagine what storm must be swirling in Aiden's head right now.

Emma.

I mentally pray she doesn't come down stairs, and try to escape using the windows. But its Emma I'm thinking about, she won't leave and she definitely didn't miss the sound of someone getting shot.

I open my eyes and look around at the state of my friends, tears blurring my vision. Aiden kept staring at his younger sibling, who lay silently sobbing in her agony.

My heart breaks, seeing him this helpless for the first time. Xavier's entire form was tensed, his pale face gave away every detail.

Once again, I failed.

"You've grown up Ava, the last time I saw you were in the hospital, battling the coma." Victoria walks over to me with that same sinister smile. I wish I could slap it away.