Eleven // The Crazy Catch

//

        "Have you had any other people come in asking about a lost cat?" Ellah stood next to Julius, stroking his black fur as he sat on the exam table.

        Doctor Deaton shook his head, across from Ellah. "No, you're safe to keep him I think." He smiled, "He likes you. How did you come across him?"

        "He came across me, actually." Ellah had lightly laughed, "One night he showed up at my doorstep and he's made himself at home. Derek and I named him the other day."

        "Derek?" Deaton leaned on the metal table, "Derek Hale, by chance?"

        "That's the one." Ellah felt like she knew him, but she couldn't place it. "I take it you know him?"

        "I have for a long time, yes." Alan replied, offering a friendly smile "Well, Julius here is all caught up on shots, he's bug free and he's all yours."

       "Thank you so much, Doc." Ellah's accent made her sound even sweeter than she actually was. She was always so pleasing to listen to. "Come on, J."

       Julius went to Ellah, jumping onto her shoulder. Turning around, he settled himself there and sat his bottom down.

       "How peculiar." Deaton said with a smile, unlatching the gate and letting the two go through.

       "Well, you know what they say about black cats." Ellah light heartedly said, signing a form for her authorization. "I'll make sure to schedule his next appointment."

       "I'm always happy to have you. This one's on the house." Deaton kindly said, "You're our newest asset to the community. It's the least I can do."

       "Cheers, Doc. That's so nice of you." Ellah slid he signed form across the counter, Julius still balanced on her shoulder. She exchanged goodbyes with him, leaving the vet clinic. Checking her watch, she got into her car and let Julius jump over to the passenger's seat.

       It was nearly eight, giving her enough time to get home for Doctor Who.

       Ellah backed out of the car park, Julius sitting next to her like an actual person. She lightly shook her head, driving down the road and thankfully remembering which side to be on.

       The longer she stayed here the stranger she thought America was.

      Ellah ran a hand along her hair, touching her neck as she drove. She felt five ticks, scars that had been there since forever. Her head twitched on impulse, startling her. Furrowing her eyebrows, she shrugged it off and continued driving.

       Julius watched her, tilting his head in concern. It was like he knew something was wrong.

        "I'm fine." It felt like they could carry on a conversation, understanding each other. "I only fainted in the middle of the woods while looking for a werejaguar who has pet berserkers. And I can't really remember that day I lost Mary the more I think about it and I have no idea where to start on how to find her and Tommy."

       Julius meowed, letting her speak first. It was perfectly timed, like he was trying to reply.

       "You really are strange." Ellah grinned, pulling into her parking space at the apartment complex. "Come on." After turning off the car, she pocketed her keys and held out her arms to him.

       Julius trotted over, letting Ellah pick him up and take him into the building.

Ellah went through the empty lobby, heading upstairs with Julius cradled in her arms. She set him down once she reached her door. With her key in the lock, she stopped. She narrowed her eyes.

       "Peter."