Four // Inside the Box

//

        Ellah slid her arms through the sleeves of her black peacoat, pulling her hair free from the fabric and letting it fall in loose curls. Her blue eyes scanned the uncovered window, light of the morning pouring in and giving natural brightness. She checked her watch as her boots tapped along the floor and carried her out of her highly undecorated room. She grabbed her phone and her keys, pushing them both into her pocket as she left her flat.

        “Have a good day, Miss Carson.” Danielle called, typing on her computer as Ellah passed through the lobby towards the front doors.

        “You too, Danielle.” Ellah waved, her phone ringing as she left her new building. She went onto the sidewalk, answering the call from her mother. “Hi Mum.”

        “Hi, darling. Are you settled in yet?” Lana asked, “Did I wake you? I wasn’t sure how late in the evening I needed to call you for it to be morning.”

        “I’ve been up for a while now.” Ellah said, the brisk wind picking up her hair and blowing it behind her gracefully. “And I’m actually on my way to go pick up my things now.” 

        “When do you start work?”

        “I’m going in later today to talk with the Sheriff, but I start tomorrow.” Ellah looked around as she walked, more comfortable with the sun out. 

        Lana hesitated, “Do you have a gun?”

        “No, I get a badge though. I’m not a police officer, I’m just their forensic analyst.” Ellah waited for the light to turn at a crosswalk before going, glad she was on her way to pick up her car. “I get an office too. The county is funding a lab for me.”

        “Very nice.” Lana covered the mic, saying something to her husband. “Your father is asking if you would be willing to go to your Aunt’s house some time this week.”

        “Why would I do that?” Ellah lifted an eyebrow, looking to the brown sign on the road pointing her in the right direction. 

        “Because she has some things that your father wants.”

        “Why can’t Aunt Penelope just send them? She hates me, why would she want to see me?” She stopped outside of the proper building, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

        “Penelope doesn’t hate you.” Lana groaned inwardly, “Just, please Ellah.”

        “Fine.”

        “And, don’t look inside the boxes.”

        Ellah narrowed her eyes, “Why?”

        “Ellah, please don’t ask. Just don’t look in the box.” Lana nearly begged, hanging up a moment later.

        Ellah stuck her mobile into her pocket, running her thumb over her temple before grabbing the door and going into the company building.

        “Morning, Ma’am. How can we help you?” Situated behind the desk, a man with glasses pushed up on his nose held a friendly smile.

        “I’m here to pick up a shipment from the United Kingdom.” Ellah said, warm air swelling around her as the door sealed off the January breeze.

        “You must be Miss Carson.” He stood up from his seat and motioned to himself, “I’m Jeff. The town has been talking about you, you know.”

        “Oh?” Ellah followed him as he told her to, the pair weaving towards the warehouse connected to the back.

        “Absolutely. We’ve had so many strange cases that getting a professional will really do us some good.” Jeff unlocked a separate unit, Ellah’s blue mondeo being revealed behind the metal door. “There she is. Keys are inside along with your boxes. I just need you to sign off for it.”