Sixteen // Play the Strings

//

        "This is Carson."

        Ellah slid on a heel, fitting on the other as she pinched her phone between her ear and shoulder. Ready for work in black pants and a tucked in white blouse, she checked over her topknot in the mirror.

        "It's Stilinski. I'm gonna need my forensic scientist," the Sheriff said.

        "Where do you need me? I've got a kit in my car." She left her room, reaching the kitchen. She grabbed a post it note, writing down the Beacon Hills address. "Give me five, Sheriff." She set down her phone on the counter, pouring food into Julius' bowl. "C'mere boy."

        Julius leapt up onto the counter, rubbing against Ellah's arm before going to his food.

        Ellah transferred her brewed tea into a travel mug and capped it. She ruffled Julius' head before pocketing her mobile and grabbing her keys and the address she needed. "Bye, J," she said on her way out, locking the door behind her.

       Derek stepped out of the elevator, looking slightly surprised at Ellah being in front of him. "Uh, morning."

        Ellah lifted an eyebrow, lowering her mug from her lips. "Morning."

        He motioned back to the elevator, "Going down?"

        "Indeed," she lightly said as she stepped in with him. "What were you coming to my apartment for?"

        "Two things. I know we didn't part on great terms and I wanted to apologize about not telling you Jonothan was my father sooner."

        "And the second?" she asked as she leaned against the lift wall. 

        "Braeden; she coming to the loft to talk about finding Kate. Interested?"

        "I'd come but Stilinski just pulled me out on a case," Ellah replied.

        "Did he say what it was for?" Derek asked.

        "Probably something with a dead body," she said. "He said he needed his forensic scientist, and this is Beacon Hills, so dead body is the likely answer."

        "True," he agreed as the doors opened up on the ground floor. Following her out, they headed to the parking lot. "Did you ever go back for the book at your aunt's?"

        "Why should I if you know what it says?" Ellah asked as she stopped in front of him. "You seemed to know about it. Not to mention it's your father who's been tormenting my siblings and I."

        "Ellah, he's been dead for years-"

       "But the situation still stands," she interrupted. "Not to mention his body was never found. Stiles told me about the crash - Jonothan Hale wasn't in there."

        "If he's still alive, I didn't know okay? I'm not lying to you. No, they didn't find the body but there was so much blood in the car that there was no chance he could be alive."

        Ellah put a hand to her hairline, squeezing her eyes in thought. "I can't do this right now. I have to get to work, Derek."

        Derek sighed, watching as Ellah apologized and went to her car.

        Ellah left the car lot, following the map on her phone to the house with flashing police vehicles around it. Putting her car in park and turning it off, she pulled the forensics kit from her trunk before approaching the yellow tape. She flashed her badge, ducking under and meeting Sheriff Stilinski.