Thirty-One // Practically Impossible

Thirty-One //

Night began to cloud over Beacon Hills, drenching the town in darkness. Floodlights coated the grounds of the high school, the police, CDC and worried parents herding around the building.

Although nearly completely blocked off, Ellah Carson had slid between the unguarded barricade surrounding the back of the high school.

The brunette brushed off her knees, keeping a light jog as she scanned the dark terrain not quite reached by the emergency floodlights. She checked her watch as she neared the school sign, recalling its location from the murder of Carrie Hudson.

Ellah skidded to a stop in front of the large stone baring the school's name, having almost shot right past it. She quickly placed her hands on the stone, searching for the triskelion. Her breath remained heavy, her nerves high as she came across the familiar spirals.

Looking to her own hands as she lifted them from the stone, she felt utterly lost all at once. "I don't know what I'm doing," she said to herself as hope fled her body like a deflating balloon.

But she had no other choice than to try.

Ellah took in a deep breath, rubbing her hands together. "It's in your blood, Ellah," she murmured. "You turn blue for crying out loud, you can open a werewolf lair." She hesitated, "God, I wish that didn't make sense."

A lapse of silence hit, Ellah rubbing her hands together as if she could jump start her untapped power like a car.

"They're going to die," Ellah whispered, palms on the stone. "They're going to die if you can't open the fault." She inhaled deeply, focusing every thought on unlocking the door. "Come on," she urged.

However, the school sign remained.

"Okay," she said as she ran her fingers through her hair before putting out her hands as if she were about to play a piano. "Scott, Stiles, Malia, Kira. Scott, Stiles, Malia, Kira," she hummed under her breath. "Prove to Jonothan that he can't turn us towards darkness. I'm good, I'm light, I'm-" Ellah's eyes opened, the sound of shifting stone greeting her. "Oh my god, it worked."

Stairs dropped down, leading underneath the school grounds.

"Scotty! Scott!"

Ellah ran down the stone steps down into the vault, able to hear Stiles yelling for his best friend. "I'm here!" she quickly said as she reached the vault clouded with death.

"Ellah?" Scott asked through a tight throat, leaning on the vault door with distant eyes. "Ellah, is that you?"

"It's me, Scott." Ellah looked to various shelves, unsure of whether the reishi was. She closed her eyes, holding out a hand as a blue vein streaked through her palm and a full mason jar launched from across the room into her grip.

"Ellah!" Stiles shouted from outside the door, banging on the stone. "Ellah, what's going on?"

Ellah lifted the jar above her head, smashing it onto the ground forcefully.

The reishi seemed to emerge like a plume of smoke among shards of glass, swelling in the air and infiltrating the lungs of the dying supernaturals.

A lapse in silence came, Ellah holding her breath as she prayed it worked.

Ellah looked to the stone door, it beginning to open at a mere thought. She moved over to Kira, helping the kitsune sit up as Scott and Stiles embraced. "Deep breaths," she told Kira with care in her voice. She glanced over her shoulder, the coyote deadly silent. "Malia?"