Chapter 2 - Where It All Began

New Brunswick, New Jersey - August 2001

The shrill sound of y/n's alarm clock finally seeped through her consciussness. She opened her eyes and grabbed her alarm clock, turning it off, and putting it back on her night stand. Y/n rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand, trying to get rid of the sleepiness she was feeling. She glanced at the clock, it was 7 am already. She had an English Literature class at 8. Better get ready. She thought. She sighed and stood up, stretching her stiff body.

"Shannon, wake up!" She called to her roommate who was still sound asleep across the room.

"Don't you have classes this morning?" She asked her roommate while walking towards her.

She pulled the duvet covering her friend's body and found pillows instead. Shannon wasn't there. Y/n rolled her eyes. It was typical of Shannon. She must've stayed at some random guy's place, y/n thought.

Y/n and her roommate Shannon couldn't be more different. She was an introvert, quiet type who much rather stayed in her room immersed in a good book rather than go out and party. Shannon was definitely an extrovert who would much rather go out and party. Their choice of study majors couldn't be more different. She chose Journalism and Media Studies while Shannon chose Theatre Acting as her major.

Y/n went to the bathroom and took a quick shower. It was the first week of the first semester of her first year at Rutgers. She didn't want to be late and gave a bad impression to her teachers. She was combing her hair when she heard the knock on her door.

"Y/n! It's me! Open up." A heavy male sound came through her door.

She opened it and found Michael, her boyfriend, at the door.

"Good morning, babe." Michael greeted her and gave her a kiss.

"Morning, babe." She kissed him back, happy to see him.

Y/n and Michael were high school sweethearts. They went to New Brunswick High School together and had known each other since kindergarten, but they didn't get together until their senior year in high school. It was a relief to her that he also went to Rutgers with her because she didn't know whether she could stand having a long distance relationship if he had gone to a different university. She couldn't imagine the anxiety she would feel being away from him for months at a time. Always afraid some other girl would steal him away from her.

Michael was a good looking blonde boy, with bright blue eyes and dimples on his cheek. Y/n didn't know how he could choose her out of all the pretty girls in her high school. Michael told her she was gorgeous multiple times but she just didn't believe it. She had always thought of herself as average looking with average body, average hair, average eyes. Many boys had expressed interest in her during her middle school and high school years, but it wasn't until Michael asked her out that she finally decided to date someone.

Like Shannon, Michael chose Theatre Acting as well for his major. So most of the time he and y/n didn't have the same class, except for that morning. They both had to take English Literature to fulfill their credit. He came to pick her up so they could go to the class together.

"Ready, babe?" Michael asked as y/n put on a pink cardigan.

"Yeah. Come on." Y/n said, picking up her bag and went out the door.

As they walked to class they dropped by the coffee cart near their dorm, grabbing two steaming cups of coffee. Black for Michael, with added sugar and milk for y/n. Y/n also bought two Danish pastries. They stopped before entering the classroom, finishing their breakfast just outside of the entrance to the classroom.

Y/n was chewing her last piece of pastry when he saw HIM. A tall skinny boy with thick tufts of brown hair and piercing blue eyes walked towards the entrance of the classroom. He caught her staring eyes and gave her a smile. She felt her heart just stopped. She swallowed her pastry and smiled back. He put a finger on his lip and she realized that she had pastry crumbs on her lips. She licked her lips to clean the crumbs, the boy laughed and winked at her then entered the classroom, leaving her weak at the knees.