Chapter 17 - Blue Valentine

Brooklyn, New York - December 2021

"What do you think about love at first sight? You think you can love somebody just by looking at them? But the thing is man, I felt like I knew her, you ever get that feeling? Yeah, I probably don't right... it felt like I did though. [... ] She just seems different, you know? I don't know, I just got a feeling about her. You know when a song comes on and you just gotta dance?"

Y/n was flopped on her sofa in front of her 32" TV, watching Ryan Gosling as Dean in the movie Blue Valentine talked about love at first sight to his colleague. Her old self would've thought what Dean said could be true. It happened to her after all. But her heartbroken current self judged it differently. Even if it happened, it didn't mean the couple who fell in love at first sight would live happily ever after. On the contrary, there was a bigger chance of them being miserable and ended the relationship with broken hearts in each party. Something she was definitely feeling.

It had been about three weeks after Sebastian broke up with her. Something she didn't think would be possible considering how much in love it seemed the both of them were with each other. But it wasn't like she didn't predict it already. Way before she agreed to start seeing him she already had doubts. His life as an internationally famous Hollywood actor was not compatible with her ordinary life as a mediocre journalist. She thought he would have worked harder to maintain their relationship. But apparently, just one advice from his team and he had no doubt at all in ending it with her. She was hurt, beyond hurt. She didn't think he would have the heart to do that to her. Prioritizing his career over her. But then again, he was ambitious. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have agreed to do the PR relationship with Ana.

Her mind wander back to when she was walking to her office on that fateful Monday morning, not realizing that her heart was going to be broken beyond repair that afternoon. She had just reached the subway station when she realized she had left her cellphone back at The Time Hotel's penthouse. So she quickly went back to the penthouse. When she got there, Sebastian was still having a meeting with his team. She didn't want to bother them so she quietly went up to the second floor to get her cellphone, which was left on the night stand by the bed. When she came down back to the first floor, she accidentally overheard Emma saying her name.

"We think that it would be better that you and y/n stop seeing each other, at least until the contract with Ana is over." y/n heard Emma say heavily.

"What?! Are you guys kidding me?" she heard Sebastian asked, his voice raised.

"Seb, we need you to focus for the next couple of months on press for your projects. On top of that, we have secured invites for you to attend Spirit Awards, BAFTA, the Vanity Fair Oscar Party and even The Met Gala! We've secured work for you for Valentino. And there are other jobs for you we are currently negotiating. We've planned 2022 to be your year. And we just think that perhaps.. having a relationship with y/n is not the correct thing to do right now. Especially with Ana in the mix. We don't want you to lose your focus." she heard Emma continued saying.

She didn't hear any response from Sebastian. It seemed he was thinking. She peeked outside to the patio from the first floor window. Sebastian was sitting on one of the chairs surrounding a glass rectangular table, his back to the window so she couldn't see his face.

"Sebastian, you signed up to the agency with a clear goal in mind, didn't you? You wanted success. With success, there's always a sacrifice you have to make. Remember, it's not everyday the agency hires talents. You're in the rare group of talented people the agency trusts to hire and manage. Don't give that up over a girl. Girls come and go, Sebastian." She heard Josh say.

Just then her cellphone buzzed, her boss was on the phone, looking for her it seemed. It was 9.30 am after all and she was beyond late. As much as she wanted to stay to listen to Sebastian's response to his team's request, she had to go. So, she quickly went outside from the penthouse, picked up the call from her boss and went to her office.