Chapter 25 - When I See You Smile

When I see you smile, I can face the world
Oh, oh
You know I can do anything
When I see you smile, I see a ray of light
Oh, oh

I see it shining right through the rain
When I see you smile
Baby when I see you smile at me
Oh, yeah

Baby there's nothing in this world that could ever do
What a touch of your hand can do
It's like nothing that I ever knew
Hey

And when the rain is falling, I don't feel it
'Cause you're here with me now
And one look at you baby
Is all I'll ever need, is all I'll ever need

When I see you smile, I can face the world

When I See You Smile - Bad English

-----

The Brooklyn Hospital Center, Brooklyn, New York - July 2022

Y/n did the breathing method she had been taught in birthing class as she tried to withstand the contraction pain she was feeling. She was lying down on her sides on the hospital bed inside the delivery room. Her hand held Sebastian's hand tightly. She had been feeling the pain of contractions since her cervix had been 1 cm dilated, which annoyed her. Most women she knew didn't feel the pain until they were at least 4cm dilated. She was too sensitive that she felt it from the beginning.

"You have a sensitive and gentle heart, honey. That's why you feel it even though most women don't." Sebastian had said as he tried to cheer her up.

"Yeah, I'd rather be a heartless woman then if I can avoid feeling this pain." She complained making Sebastian chuckle.

"Don't say that, honey. Hang in there, you're doing great." Sebastian squeezed her hand and gave her forehead a kiss.

"Let's do the hypnobirthing method to ease the pain." Sebastian suggested.

And so they did the hypnobirthing method that was taught in birthing class to try to lessen the contraction pains Y/n was feeling. She was offered to get an epidural to deal with the pain but she declined. She wanted to give birth as normal and with little intervention as possible. But after hours of holding the pain, she started to have second thoughts. She had been in the delivery room for close to sixteen hours and her cervix dilated pretty slowly. It was still at 2 cm dilated but she was feeling all the pain.

She was really grateful that she had Sebastian there with her. He tried all he could to help Y/n deal with the contraction pains. He would rub her lower back when the pain came. He would give her massages. He would guide her to have short meditation sessions and visualization exercises. In between contractions he would tell her jokes or play some music from his cellphone. He did everything to help her feel more relaxed. She couldn't wish for a better partner to be with her during one of the most important time of her life.

A nurse came in to check on her as she was doing her hypnobirthing method. The nurse checked her cervix dilation and while she did, she did something down there that was very painful that Y/n scrunched her face in pain.

"I'm sorry.. I had to do it to speed up the process." The nurse winked at her leaving Y/n speechless.

The nurse was right. After that last check by her, Y/n's cervix dilation began to widen faster. Four hours later she reached 8cm dilation.

"Seb...aaargh.." Y/n held Sebastian's hand tight as she felt another painful contraction.

"Breathe in.. breathe out.. that's it. You're doing amazing, sweetheart." Sebastian cheered her on as he held Y/n' hand tight.