Chapter 23 - Tragic Symphony

Well, I know what you're doing
Girl, I see what you're doing

I'm caught up in a dark emotion
I've given you all that's left of me
You're giving me a crazy notion
I'm falling for your tragic symphony
I'm caught up in a dark emotion
I'm falling for the trap you set for me
You're giving me a crazy notion
I'm falling for your tragic symphony
Uh-uh, your tragic symphony

You played me once, but I did it twice
I guess I'm taking my own bad advice
Woohoo, uh
Well, the lie you composed is intricate
But if it don't bleed then it ain't no cut

Well, I know what you're doing
Girl, I see what you're doing

Tragic Symphony - Hanson

-----

The Brooklyn Hospital Center, New York - March 2022

"Mr.Stan.. excuse me.. Mr.Stan? Are you alright?" The security officer waved his hand in front of Sebastian, snapping him back to the current moment.

He was still feeling shocked about what happened a couple of hours before. He and Y/n had somehow avoided a murder attempt. The cupcakes Shannon had sent them contained poison. Cyanide it seemed from the effects it had given nurse Stacy.

Nurse Stacy was thankfully alive. The doctors and nurses in the hospital acted quickly. They pumped out her stomach and gave her antidotes. She was still being cared for in the ICU but the doctors said she would live. He was so glad she would. He didn't know if he could handle the guilt if she didn't make it.

"I'm sorry. I'm just still shocked about what happened." Sebastian said, rubbing his hands on his face as he tried to release the anxiety he was feeling.

"I understand Mr.Stan. I'm really sorry but we had to call the police because this is a criminal matter. They're coming shortly and they would want to speak with you and your girlfriend if it's possible." The security officer said.

"Yes, of course, they can talk to me. But my girlfriend is in the isolation room in the ICU. She has Covid. I don't think the doctors are going to allow them in. She can barely speak anyway because of the oxygen mask she's wearing." Sebastian explained.

"I see. Well, perhaps they don't need to talk to her. I'm sure they don't want to risk catching Covid." the officer said.

"Yeah. They most likely don't want to. Besides, she's the victim and whatever they want to ask her I'll be able to answer." Sebastian said.

"Very well Mr.Stan. Thank you. We will let the police know where you are once they're here." The officer said.

"Thank you. I'm just going to wait here for them." Sebastian said, referring to the waiting area in front of the ICU where they were sitting.

The security officer nodded then left him alone. About half an hour later two police detectives from NYPD came. They asked Sebastian a series of questions. He told them all that he knew. He also insisted that the cupcakes were most likely not sent by Shannon even though the card on the box said so. There was no way Shannon would hurt them deliberately.

"Well Mr.Stan, if you think Shannon doesn't have anything to do with it, do you have any idea who does?" One of the police detectives asked.

His mind went straight to Ana. But he didn't have any proof of her involvement at all. Deep down he also wished it wasn't Ana who had tried to kill him and Y/n. He couldn't comprehend why she would go that far. It was one thing for her to be playing with threats, it was another when she actually acted upon those threats. He also didn't know what the ramifications would be like if he mentioned her name at all. So he decided to ask Emma first about it before saying anything.