11. Friendship

Chapter 11

Caroline parked at the school parking lot, making sure to wipe away a few forgotten tears before getting out of the car.

This was the second time in two days that she cried over a guy, and she was sick and tired of it. Even though she was a bit of a mess, she had still decided to go to school today. Life sucked, but it went on.

She would try to apologize to Tyler today. She wasn’t exactly sure what she wanted right now, but at least she wanted them to stop fighting. Their relationship might not be restored again, but at least their friendship could.

Caroline wasn’t even sure that she wanted their romance to continue. Sure, she really loved him, but nowadays it felt more friendly than steamy.

Not like it is with Klaus… she thought briefly, before clearing her head from that thought. She didn’t really know her feelings for him yet, but she would deal with them after fixing things with Tyler.

His words had stung a lot, accusing her of being a sick person who took advantage of people. That was definitely not how she was, and she hated him for saying that. One second he could be the most charming man on Earth, and the next he could be the coldest.

She perfectly understood his anger, since he had thought that she would just immediately resume her relationship with Tyler again. That however didn’t give him the perfect excuse to insult her and storm out.

Sighing, Caroline realized that she had been thinking about Klaus, the thing she had just said she wouldn’t do. Concentrating on trying to remember if they had any homework, she walked into the school.

School continued as usual. She often wished she could be like the oblivious human students again, not knowing about the world they lived in. That time was long gone for her.

At lunch Caroline sat with Bonnie and Elena as usual. Stefan wasn’t there, probably dealing with some problem outside school. For them, the problems never ended.

“How are you doing?” Caroline asked Elena, looking at her with pity. She knew how hard it had to be for her.

“I’m surviving, I guess. Everything is so different now, though. Everything is so clear,” she answered, looking around her as if to prove it.

“And the hunger? Is it bad?” Bonnie asked, looking at her worriedly.

“Yeah, I’m dealing with it,” she sighed, looking down at her plate without any appetite for human food.

Looking up, Elena looked at Caroline. “What’s happened with you and Tyler, by the way? You guys aren’t talking to each other today.”

“We had a fight,” she sighed, picking at her food.

“What? Why?” Bonnie asked, frowning.

“Because he got jealous,” Caroline muttered. She really hoped that Elena and Bonnie wouldn’t judge her.

“Jealous of whom?” Elena elaborated.

“Of Klaus,” she replied in a low voice.

“Excuse me?” Bonnie said, not believing her ears.

“Klaus! Okay?” Caroline exclaimed, feeling exasperated.

Both of her friends’ eyes widened as they understood. Elena first looked angry, but then understanding. Bonnie’s face was however only covered with utter disbelief.