8. Visits

• Dedicado a Aleksandra Durowicz

                                            Chapter 8

Caroline, Damon and Stefan stood still for a few seconds while they processed the fact that they had succeeded. Elena came into the room and sighed in relief when she saw that they were all okay.

“They fell for it,” Caroline exclaimed happily.

“For now,” Damon replied. “As soon as they find out that the stake isn’t real, we’re screwed,” he continued with fake optimism.

“We bought us some time. That’s what’s important,” Elena objected, while Stefan nodded.

Caroline couldn’t help but grin like a maniac. They had managed to fool the Originals! It had been a close one, though. Damon had almost had a stake plunged through his heart.

“Barbie?” Damon asked, looking like he wanted to say something.

Caroline put her chin up and raised her eyebrows, refusing to answer to the nickname he had given her.

“Thank you,” he said sincerely, looking into her eyes. “You’re the one who stopped Klaus. If you hadn’t I might have died.”

Caroline was stunned for a few seconds, but flicked her hair over her shoulder once she had recovered.

“Well, if you hadn’t gone and tried to kill Rebekah, you wouldn’t have needed me to protect you.”

Damon rolled his eyes, but then smirked when he thought of something. “It’s lucky that Klaus is crazy about you. It’s been a real advantage.”

This caused a series of different emotions to rise inside her. First her heart beat quicker upon hearing that Klaus was crazy about her. Then she felt guilt since she was tricking him, which led to confusion since she had no good reason to feel guilty. Or did she?

“I have to go. I told Tyler I would meet him at my home after this to tell him how it went,” she said. Again she felt guilt, which she firmly pushed away.

“Yeah, I bet that’s the only thing you two are going to do,” Damon remarked sarcastically.

Caroline glared at him for a few seconds before leaving.

She drove home in her car and went into her house. Once she had come up to her room she saw Tyler sitting on her bed, smiling at her.

“Hey!” he greeted, standing up and giving her a hug.

“Hi!” she replied, grinning while hugging him back. Seeing him always made her happy.

He leaned back a bit, but only enough to kiss her. Even though she liked kissing him, Caroline couldn’t help noticing that this kiss lacked the fire that the kiss she had shared with Klaus had. This was more like a teenage kiss, pure and nice. The other one had been much more mature, passionate and consuming.

Nice and pure isn’t bad either, Caroline tried to convince herself. Luckily, Tyler stepped back before he could notice her thoughtfulness.

“So, how did it go?” he asked.

“Great! The Originals believed the act. Klaus almost staked Damon because he tried to kill Rebekah, but when I got in-between them he stopped.”

“Why?” Tyler asked, his eyes becoming guarded.

“Why did he try to kill Rebekah?” she scoffed. “Who knows what Dam―”

“No,” Tyler interrupted impatiently. “I mean, why did Klaus stop?”