20. Confrontation

Dedicated to @Sondastsya_99 for the beautiful banner on the side! <3

                                    Chapter 20: Confrontation

The werewolves’ heads immediately whipped to the direction Caroline was in. Spiky-hair inhaled deeply through his nose.

“Vampire,” he snarled, his eyes glinting yellow.

That was Caroline’s cue to run. She turned around and started sprinting away, praying that her vampire-speed would help her escape. However, just as she was raising her leg for her third step, she felt a sharp sting in her thigh, followed by the sound of a gun-shot.

Screaming, she fell to the ground. Blood seeped from her wound, but she forced herself to her feet again. Limping as fast as she could, tears started to sting in her eyes because of the pain.

A shot to the other leg quickly stopped her, causing her to topple over to the ground again.

“Unless you want a wooden bullet to your brain, you should probably stop right now,” She-wolf called with a sneer.

They approached her leisurely, mocking her helpless state. Only Claire, the most sympathetic of the five, frowned. Caroline tried to drag herself away with her arms, but was punished with a third shot to her arm.

“Please, stop,” she sobbed after screaming in pain again.

“Well, what do we have here?” Andy exclaimed, a Mad-Hatter smile on his face. “If it isn’t the lovely Caroline! Long time no see. Did you miss us so much that you came back?”

“Go to hell,” she spat with hate. She utterly loathed this man, in the same time as she was scared stiff by him. The hours of torture he had inflicted on her were still fresh in her mind, even though Klaus had helped take her mind of them.

“Hey, why don’t we try that rock on her and see if it works?” Sam suggested.

She-wolf smiled viciously. “Sam, sometimes you are a genius.”

Sam smiled proudly while Andy raised the yellow crystal in his hand. He grinned. “Good bye. It has been fun getting to know you.”

The next thing Caroline knew she was enveloped in a scorching beam of light. She was blinded, the whole world seeming to be made of light. The heat from the light was blazing hot, instantly creating blisters on her skin. She screamed in agony, trying to go away, anywhere where the unyielding light didn’t shed it’s light. But it was impossible. It was everywhere, her ring doing nothing to protect her from it.

Her skin started to sizzle, smoke rising from her. It felt like her whole being was on fire, and the excruciating pain consumed her.

Please make it stop. Please make it stop. Please make it stop.

Her mind kept chanting the words over and over in her head, unable to think of anything else. The only comfort Caroline had was that she would be dead within a few seconds.

She heard someone shouting something, but was too far gone to hear what. Then suddenly, the light disappeared. Blessed coolness caressed her face, and she had never appreciated the cool air as much as she did then.

“We need her for security!” she heard Claire saying. “In case something doesn’t work out, we can always use her to protect ourselves. The Original loves her!”

Not anymore, Caroline thought wistfully to herself, but didn’t say anything.

Silence surrounded her for a few seconds. She held her breath, knowing that her fate was now in their hands.