16. Dreams and Reality

(A/N) Chapter dedicated to @White_Tear who had the best guess of what Caroline had forgotten! You rock! ;)

                                          Chapter 16

Caroline looked at herself in the mirror, making sure that everything looked fine. Her bronze-colored dress gleamed faintly in the light, and her make-up and straightened hair made her look beautiful.

“You look stunning, love,” Klaus murmured from behind her, coming and wrapping his arms around her.  

“Does it fit the occasion? Since someone refuses to say a single thing about what or where we’re going, I have no idea what to wear! Can’t you just tell me already?” she retorted, turning around to glower at him.

“Now, where is the thrill in that? And you look absolutely perfect,” he smiled, leaning forward to plant a soft kiss on her lips.

Even though she tried to keep the scowl on her face, she melted when he kissed her. It was hard to stay mad at him, especially with the way he was looking now.

He was wearing a tailored black suit with a white shirt and fitted black pants. To top it of, he had a black bow-tie. All in all, he was devilishly handsome.

“You don’t look so bad yourself,” she grinned teasingly, putting her hands on his shoulders.

The Original smirked at her, before taking her hand and leading her to the door. “Come on. We must leave or we’ll arrive late.”

They went out to the car, but before Caroline could get into the car Klaus stopped her.

“Just one thing, and then we’re off.” He took out a white silk handkerchief, smiling wickedly.

“Seriously?” she exclaimed, but didn’t stop him when he went behind her to tie the blind over her eyes.

“I am most definitely serious,” he answered sternly, but she could hear his grin.

Caroline sighed, but sat in the car as Klaus opened the door. Soon they were driving off into the unknown – well, unknown to her – and Caroline found herself thinking of the past days.

Recovering from the werewolf incident had taken some days, but she had fully healed by now. She had been a bit behind at school and at planning the upcoming Halloween-party, but everything had worked out in the end. The party had been a success, and she smiled proudly as she thought of it.

Most of her friends had come to terms with her relationship with Klaus. Honestly, she hadn’t planned on starting to date him, especially so soon after Tyler, but after he saved her it just felt natural. In the beginning she felt guilty about it. She didn’t want it to seem like she hadn’t cared about Tyler! One day when he had visited though they had talked about it, and he had assured her that he was okay with it.

The only person who was still a bit skeptical was Bonnie. Most of them had accepted Klaus when he saved Caroline, but she still didn’t fully trust him. Elena however, always the good friend, had forced Bonnie to come to meet Caroline and her at the Mystic Grill. Bonnie had apologized and they had hugged it out, even though her witch best friend had repeated that she had warned her.

They drove for a while, and Caroline sifted through the channels on the radio in boredom. Even though she was impatient about knowing where they were going, she couldn’t help feeling excited. It was incredibly sweet of Klaus plan all of this for her, and she couldn’t wait to see what was waiting for her at the end of the car ride.