21: Cold and Empty

Dedicated to @edunlap2001! Thanks for you support! :)

Chapter 21: Cold and Empty

NO!” Klaus roared when he saw Caroline's burning body collapse. His attention was so focused on the body of the love of his life that he didn't notice what happened around him. The crystal Andy had been holding stopped shining, becoming just like any other crystal. The full meaning of the lost weapon slowly crept up on the werewolves. Sam, Andy, Claire and the fourth werewolf's panic grew in their eyes as they noticed that the witch was gone. There was nobody to reactivate it again. They were defenseless.  

Klaus gathered Caroline in his arms, feeling tears well up in his eyes. Her body was lifeless and destroyed, her usually flawless skin burnt and blistered. Her otherwise light well-kept hair was tangled and had spots of blood in it.

And just like that, he felt his control snap. The emotions he had carefully switched off came rushing back to him. Love. Fear. Panic. A tsunami of emotions enveloped him.

“Caroline? Caroline!” he called frantically, shaking her. She remained motionless.

He refused to accept the fact which was right in front of his eyes. Stroking her hair, the hot tears poured down his cheeks. “It's fine, it's fine! You are going to be okay, love, do you hear me? Everything will be fine. I'm sorry for being angry at you, I didn't mean it. You are not to blame for Kol’s death. I forgive you, just don't leave me!”

His voice broke as he clutched her body tight to his chest. His body was shaking, racked by the sobs inside him. But even as his body mourned, his mind still didn't want to face the facts.

“Don't worry, you'll get better. I'll take care of you, just like last time,” he told her, trying to convince her as well as himself. “You'll heal, and we will travel the world together, just like I promised. I’ll show you the world. What do you say about starting in Paris? I think that you would like it there.” Since he had promised it, it felt like it had to happen. He never neglected his promises, so there was no way this one could be broken. There was no way that she was gone.

It was only as he put his hand over her heart, that he acknowledged the silence of her heart. Her body was completely still, her chest not rising or falling. She was dead.

The pain grew inside him, suffocating him. He gasped for breath, struggling to breathe with this new revelation surrounding him. His light, his life, his love was gone. Just like everyone else, she had eventually left him. The feisty yet loveable spirit inside her had left her body. They would never see Paris together, never have the time to walk the Great Wall of China like he had planned. All that was left was a corpse which was slowly losing its warmth. And as the warmth left Caroline's body, so did the rest of the warmth in his world.

His love had been murdered. He was alone.

His fists clenched, but he was careful not to hurt Caroline's body. He gently placed her on the ground, leaving a kiss on her forehead as he stood up. As he shifted his eyes upwards, all the softness left them. They shone dangerously, promising nothing but one thing. Death.

He started to walk in the direction of the werewolves. They had already run away into the forest, but Klaus could hear their noisy foot-steps in the distance. Their heavy breathing was audible, sometimes accompanied with a small cry of desperation when they tripped. They were terrified. Just as they should be.

He took off running into the forest. The skies had darkened like his heart, but he had no trouble weaving his way through the trees. Birds quieted around him, sensing his intentions like an aura around him.

The first person he reached was Sam. All the werewolf had time to do was widen his eyes in horror before his head left his body.

Second was the male werewolf with styled black hair. Klaus remembered how he had shot Caroline, her face contorting in agony. His heart was soon a few feet away from his body.

Claire ran through the forest, whilst knowing that she would die. Tears dripped down her cheeks as she her breath came out in gasps. As the hybrid reached her, she tried to defend herself one last time.

“I just wanted to free Oscar,” she whispered hopelessly, knowing that those were probably the last words she would ever speak.

The Original understood her intentions, but the fact remained that not only had she helped kill his brother, but also Caroline. She had effectively taken away his main reason to live.

He killed her quickly and nearly painlessly.

Saved for last was Andy. Klaus took extra time to pursue him, letting the werewolf's terror nearly consume him as he regularly appeared behind trees, forcing him in the opposite direction. He knew that it was sick, but he wanted him to suffer as much as Caroline had when she had been tortured.

Stopping him for the final time, Klaus stared at him quietly. The scream of agony Caroline had released through the phone when he had been talking to Andy rang in his ears as he walked toward him. By now the werewolf was exhausted, not being able to run anymore.

“Please, don't kill me!” Andy pleaded as Klaus approached him. All of the cockiness had left him, leaving a spluttering coward. When he tried to raise his fist, the Original simply caught it in his hand and crushed it. The werewolf cried out in pain, stumbling back.

With a coolness which would scare even the bravest of hearts, Klaus drove his hand deep into Andy's chest, hearing his ear-splitting cry of pain. This time however, he didn't rip the heart out. Instead, he crushed it in between his fingers. He saw the agony and terror in Andy's eyes before the light finally went out. He pulled his hand out, leaving the destroyed heart in the werewolf’s chest.

He wanted him to be as broken inside as Klaus felt.

It was as the blood of the last werewolf dripped from his hand, that he realized that there was nothing left now. The fight left his body, making him feel even emptier. He had no purpose anymore. Having cut short the lives of his brother and his love's murderers, he had no mission to accomplish. Nothing mattered anymore, nothing could be done to make it better. Nothing would bring Caroline back.

And as the dead bodies of the werewolves cooled in the autumn air, his own future stretched out in front of him. Cold and empty.

He almost envied the dead werewolves.

-----

Hello again! Yes, a miracle has occured. For the first time ever, I have updated TWO DAYS IN A ROW! Whoop whoop! Hopefully I've made you extra happy. :) Sadly this chapter is a bit shorter, but I felt that it was better this way.

So, sad chapter, I know. To tell the truth I actually...dare I say it .. cried when I wrote this. I know, I'm an emotional writer, lol. Don't worry though, this isn't the end of the story. Don't kill me yet. xP

I spent half of the day baking macarons. -.- They're tasty, yes, but it took forever. I would send you some if I could, but Klaus already ate all of them. :P

VOTE/COMMENT/FOLLOW please! I'm considering to enter this to the Watty's, and I need your support! I won't make it without you! Hopefully I'll make it before the deadline (6th November).

KLAROLINE FOREVER!!!