10

Sydney's POV

It took every muscle in my body to roll off of my bed the next morning. The wedding was approaching sooner than the knots in my stomach would disintegrate. "Morning, Mom." Miley stretched her arms and stared at me, as I brushed my teeth.

"Sleep well?"

"Yeah. Can't wait for tonight. Please come with me?" I knew that it must have been stressful for her to drag me everywhere. "Please, Mom?"

"I'll think about it?"

Miley wrapped her arms around my torso and placed her chin on my shoulder. "I understand if you won't, but everyone would like for you to be there."

"Everyone but your aunt."

"Hm. It's not for her to decide. And for the record, I don't think you've ever gotten in the way of Dad's happiness. It's not your fault that he still—"

"Feels like it is." I took a heavy breath and Miley stepped back. When I turned, I noticed tears were in her eyes. "I know you always thought that we'd get back together."

Miley slouched her shoulders. "Yeah. But I'm not a kid anymore. I know that's never going to happen. It just, just—"

I pulled her into my arms. "I know. But you'll always have both of us. No matter what. I promise."

"Are you sad, Mom?"

"About what?"

Miley leaned backward, looking into my eyes. "About Dad getting married?"

I smiled weakly at her. "A little." Closing my eyes, I felt my own tears threatening to fall. "I always wanted to give you the family you deserved. But I, I—"

"Mom." Miley pulled me tightly against her. "I never expected you to be with Dad for my sake."

"No?"

"No, Mom. Is that why this is so hard for you?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I, I—"

"Mom." Miley rubbed her hand along my back. "I know you tried to make it work. And I know you would have never left unless you had to. Dad deserves someone who adores him. And you deserve to be happy—really happy. Not content. Or simply satisfied. Both you and Dad deserve someone to give you butterflies—swarms and swarms of them. I hope I'll find that too."

Her speech had me softly crying against her. The guilt I carried for so many years seemed unnecessary. If my young daughter could understand, why shouldn't everyone else?

"Have I told you lately how much I love you?"

Miley giggled and kissed my cheek. "Don't cry. I love you too, Mom."