32

Amelia's POV

I led Syd to the couch and we sat down. Looking into her reluctant eyes, I tried to be brave for the both of us. "You've always had gorgeous eyes," Syd whispered. She brushed the side of my face with her fingers and grazed the edge of my lips with her thumb.

Butterflies fluttered inside of me. I could feel her anxious breath against my face. "I remember you telling me that once before." I said. "This time, I won't pull away. I promise."

My assurance made her nod. I could see the vulnerability in her eyes. Syd always held onto her strong demeanor, but I was finally getting a glimpse of what was underneath.

Syd said, "I never, ever thought that I'd get a chance to do this."

I could sense the hesitance in her voice. She was still unsure. I couldn't blame her. It wasn't going to be easy for us to be together. But I knew that it would be worth it.

"I'm never letting you go again, Syd. I want to be yours, forever."

I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and leaned in. My lips found hers instantly, and I almost cried when she reciprocated.

Syd moved her hand around my waist and intensified our kiss. She felt even better than I dreamed about. We slowly inhaled the essence of the other. When she pulled away, her soft eyes stared into mine.

I felt out of breath. Syd stroked my cheek with her fingers gently. "We're not kids, Amy. I'm not naive to think that this will definitely work." I began to feel embarrassed again. Tears began to trickle down my cheeks. "But I'm willing to try."

"Yeah?" My voice was weak.

"Yeah. I do have feelings for you. A lot of feelings."

"Me too, Syd."

She kissed my forehead lovingly. "But I do have my doubts. I'm trying my best not to feel pessimistic about us. But it's hard."

"I'm going to convince you otherwise, Syd. We are meant to be together."

"I hope so, Amy. I do."

"It's going to be okay, Syd." I reached for her hands and squeezed firmly.

Syd took a deep breath. "Can you do me a favor?" I nodded. "Can we keep this to ourselves for now?"

"Okay."

My heart clenched inside of my chest. I expected her to not want anyone to know about us. But it still hurt.

"Just for now. I don't want anyone to distract us from trying to make this work. I don't want to focus on anyone but you right now," Syd explained.

"Whatever it is. As long as you're willing to try, Syd. That's all I ask."

"I'll try, Amy. Be patient with me, okay."

"I'm trying too." Syd smiled at me. "I think I'm finally hungry."

"Me too, actually." Syd led me back to the table. "I won't be staying the night, by the way," Syd said.

"I assumed you wouldn't."

"Just thought I'd confirm."

"I'm not that easy, Syd."

"Never thought you were." Her eyes fluttered. "But after a few more dates, I'm hoping you wouldn't mind."

I knew that I'd probably let her that very night, if she wanted to. "We'll see what happens, Syd."