27

Amelia's POV
2 weeks later

My mom looked around the empty apartment, then back at me. "This might be the most romantic thing you've ever done," she said.

I dropped a large moving box onto the floor and placed my hands on my waist. "I didn't move for anyone but myself, Mom."

"Oh, sure. You so didn't move so that you could be closer to your girl."

"Syd's not my girl, Mom." I shook my head and walked to the kitchen. "I wanted to move here because I need some change in my life. And Syd just so happens to work ten blocks away."

"Just admit that you're a little stalker," she teased. "I want you to call me the moment she kisses you." My mom pounced on her feet. "And make sure she wants more kids, please?"

"Mom!" Her optimism about me being able to convince Syd to date me was very encouraging. "I'll call the day after. Just don't wait by the phone, it's going to take a while."

"She won't be able to resist you, trust me. I give it two months, tops."

"You have a lot of faith that we'll end up together, don't you?"

"Of course, I do. I saw the way you two look at each other. Amelia, that woman's crazy about you. Take my word."

I smiled. "Thank you, Mom."

"For what?" She tilted her head, "hm?"

"For always supporting me, no matter what."

My mom walked towards me and pulled me into her arms. "I love you. And I want you to be happy."

I closed my eyes and leaned my head against her shoulder. "You don't think I'm a horrible person?"

She rubbed her hand along my back soothingly. "No, honey. You can't feel guilty forever. Daniel will one day realize that you did him a favor. He wouldn't want to be married to someone who doesn't love him."

I tightened my arms around my mother's torso. "But I do love him."

"But were you ever in love with him?"

I inhaled a deep breath and considered my feelings for the man I almost married. If there's one thing I was sure of, it was that I didn't regret meeting Daniel. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have Syd in my life again.