4

I woke up and immediately felt restless. I DID say I looked forward to experiencing those things, but I ended up thinking useless things. Looking around, it still feels like a dream. Compared to my life back there, I now have a soft bed that lulls me to sleep instead of a bed with me throughout my life. Though it may be old and worn out, it became my comfort when times got rough. The pillow that is soft to touch replaced the feeling of flatness of the also worn-out pillows I had. The coldness of my old room is now replaced with warmth.

I survived.

I.... survived.

"Y/N-chan-"

Without knowing, I looked up to my granduncle with tears streaming on my face. Some part of me was knocking to me not to let my vulnerability show as the times I have done that, comfort and trust was not the result. It was betrayal, pity, and ridicule. Some part of me says that I can trust this old man. It says that this is the family and comfort I have longed to have.

"Granduncle... I..."

He sat down beside me and patted my head.

"You...?

I held his other hand with a tight grip.

"I will make sure that I will become the grandniece that you want. Please just let me stay here and try to treat me as if you love me. I... don't want to experience those things back then. Even though it will be fake, compared to before, I will gladly blind myself from how fake it is. Please, just let me not experience those things again."

I sobbed. The pain, the anger, and the grief that I have been accumulating all these years become undone to my grandmother's brother. Perhaps, the way he treated me yesterday made me remember the warmth and the love my grandmother showered me before, and I ultimately revealed everything to him just like I did to her.

"Y/N."

I did not dare to look at him. Thinking about it, I made him as if he was evil.

"Y/N, please look at me."

I slowly looked up to see him with a small smile.

"Why do you think you are here?"

"Because grandma told you to take care of me."

"Nope, that's not just it. Even though she did tell me so, I am genuinely happy and willing to care for you. Because you are my family, and family is supposed to have each other's back. You are the grandniece of mine, and so you are my family. And as your guardian, I am willing to give you everything. May that be materials or non-materials such as love and care. Your wariness on people is understandable because no one dared to treat you with respect and with love that you deserve."

The hand that he used to pet me was used to give me a pat on the back.

"So for now, live your life however you like. You want to be spoiled? I would gladly spoil you because I have enough money to last a couple of millennia."

He laughed at his comment, which made me smile.

"But of course, it is already given that you will be supported and spoiled here. Opera-kun and I will take care of you. So we will be waiting for you here. No matter how long it takes for your heart to open, we will be here for you. You don't have to feel guilty about how you look at people. That is the result of suffering, after all."

I hugged him and let my tears spill. He hugged me back while patting my back.

So... This is how it feels to have a proper guardian, huh? A real family...