23

Y/N felt a bad feeling about the person she'd bumped onto. Though she was genuinely apologizing, she was looking at him cautiously. The turquoise-haired demon she now knows as Kirio was smiling and acting as if everything was fine and her bumping onto him was his fault. The one thing she has that she's confident with is her ability to read people. Her first impressions of people are always spot-on. In this case, she felt uncomfortable and cautious about the boy; this man was dangerous.

Though they had a good conversation, her deep impression of the boy is stuck. Even Azeru felt that something was wrong with the boy.

"Say Y/N,"

"Yes, Kirio-san?"

"You've been famous for a while now, right? You've made great achievements that I can't help but admire!"

"Thank you, I feel very flattered."

"Crowds isn't your thing, though, right?"

"It depends. But generally, the more people I interact with, the faster my energy drains, and the longer it takes to recover from it."

"...You haven't joined a Battler, right?"

"...Battler—oh, right, right... I haven't. May I ask why you're asking about it?"

"Well, I have a battler right now, but... It's a bit embarrassing, but I am the only one who's in it."

"Ah, that's unfortunate. Did your members leave you or..."

The turquoise-haired bitch—I mean, the demon could only look down and blushed, feeling embarrassed as he had to explain his situation.

...The dude is into this, as we all know. That embarrassment and the "shy" smile he had on his face was none other than him enjoying this whole thing. He was twiddling his fingers like a twink-

Narrator-nim.

...Yes?

...Tone the insults down, please.

Alright, alright.

Anyway, as for Y/N, who felt that something was wrong with him, she felt more uncomfortable but stayed silent while waiting for his answer.

"Well...It has been only me since the beginning. And since you're not really into crowds, and everyone must join a battler, I think The Magical Apparatus Battler will be perfect for you."

He then handed her a brochure and explained what the Battler is and what it is all about. While Y/N senses how passionate he is about creating different apparatuses or equipment for the sake of the weaker demons, she can't help but feel there's much more than the information, visions, and goals he has for his organization. So, for the sake of the investigation, she acted as if she was genuinely interested in joining the club.

"This is a very tempting offer, Kirio-san. But we need at least four people to ensure the Battler won't be disbanded."

"Ah...Right... It was about to be disbanded by the end of this week."

He said while looking down and meeting her eyes before looking down again. He was clearly trying to make her pity him. While she looks like she IS pitying him, she can't help but notice his habit of touching his ear cuffs and scritching his cheek while talking about certain things. He first did it when he was complimenting her, and the other is,

"I am sorry if you are offended or insulted in any way by this question. Do you have any other motives in making me join your Battler other than ensuring that it won't be disbanded?"

"What?! No, no! I am sorry you feel that way! I just want to stop the chance of the organization's disbandment."

With that, her suspicions are confirmed. So, every time he lies, he does it.

...But that's a strange habit, no? Y/N thought.

But if there's a chance that she's wrong about this—that would actually be better than what she thought and felt was the truth.

What's with the ear cuffs, and what's with that gleam on his eyes while looking at her?

"Is there something on my face?"

"No, it's because you're cute, Kirio-san. Anyway, I have two friends that also haven't joined a Battler. I'll try asking them if they want to join... Kirio-san?"

She, who was looking to the side, faking that she was genuinely thinking about this, looked at him and saw her senior blushing furiously.

"Kirio-san? Are you okay?"

"Ye-yes, I am okay! No need to feel worried, Y/N-chan."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am sure!"

"Alright, if you say so, Kirio-san. Well, I have to excuse myself. I have other matters to attend to. I want to apologize again for bumping onto you."

"No, no, it's alright! At least it ended well, no?"

"It did. Then, it was nice to meet and talk to you, Kirio-san."

"Likewise, Y/N-chan!"

Y/N headed in the opposite direction Kirio went, which finally allowed Azeru to speak his thoughts regarding the demon.

"Master, that man is dangerous."

"I know, Azeru. I know. There was something about how he looked at me—like I was an experiment or something to be played with. My intuition's never wrong—it seems he has a bigger motive than just making equipment for the "weaker demons." I should probably act like I genuinely care to see the bottom of this."

"I'll do my best to protect you and your friends, Master."

"Thank you, Azeru. I always could count on you."

"You flatter me too much, Master. I am just doing what I need to do."

"...Azeru?"

"...Yes?"

"Your hand in marriage?"

"I-"