1.1

Avery's POV.

"A game?!" I shrieked. "You're sicker than I thought." My mind raced through the idea of Danny's life depending on a game. "But Avery..." The strangers hand stroked the piece of glass separating us. "Games are fun."

I took a step back from the glass. "Tell me the riddle." I demanded.

"What can you hear," they breathed. "But not touch or see?"

"What?" Confusion filled me more than ever. "What can you hear-"

"I heard you." Interrupting them, I pulled out my phone and started to search the riddle. "I thought this game was fair, Avery?" They spoke with intimidation. "You never said I couldn't help myself."

"Well, I am now. Drop the phone, or I drop the power." They shouted, making me jump and drop my phone. "I want to see how clever you really are."

-

"What can you hear, but not touch or see? What can you hear but not touch or see?" I whispered to myself. My stress levels were rising high, and the beeping from the heart monitor was getting louder and louder each time I repeated the riddle. "Come on.. I know this."

"Tick....Tick....Tick." The hooded figure stood by the glass, tapping their foot every second. Grabbing some paper from the floor, along with a pen, I wrote the riddle down. "What can you hear but not touch or see?" My frustration was boiling inside of me, tiny sweat droplets forming on my forehead. "10 minutes, Avery."

Looking back at the clock, I saw they were right. I only had 10 minutes left. "Come on Avery!" I yelled at myself. "I know that I know this!" I turned to face the glass and rested my head against it. "Are you giving up?" They mocked. "I will never give up." I spat.

"9 minutes."

The tiny sweat droplets that had formed were now rolling down my forehead, making me more nervous.

"8 minutes."

My hair was continuously running through and pulling my hair.

"7 minutes."

The sound of my foot tapping was shadowing the entire hallway, beating with each second closer to Danny's death.

"6 minutes."

"What can you hear, but not touch or see?" was muttered on a continuous loop from my shaky mouth.

"5 minutes."

I was turning round desperately, hoping to find some sort of clue.

"4 minutes."

My eyes were clenched shut, pushing my brain to think harder, when suddenly an old memory came to mind.

-

"If you can guess this riddle, you can choose where we go to dinner." Danny grinned. "But, if you get it wrong, I choose."

"Ooh, try me." I winked. "Okay, little Miss Smarty pants." Danny teased, before stopping at the stop sign and turning to face me. "What can you hear, but not touch or see?"

-

"3 minutes."

"Hard right?" Danny smirked, satisfied with himself that he knew I wouldn't solve it. "Come on!" I whined. "Pick an easier one!"

"Nope. You've got 2 minutes, babe."

"2 minutes."

"Okay, at least let me think!" Danny sat and admired my face as I thought as hard as I could.