A strange newsie - 1

Y/n woke up in the lodging house as normal, she looked around the hot stuffy room of bunk beds, she was a strange newsie as she was a girl, she wore her jeans and flannel top rolled up on her sleeves and suspenders. Her h/l h/c hair flowing around her head as she sat up and saw everyone else walking around the room getting ready.

"Ah sleeping beauty has awoken." Finch cheered as he was the first person to see her wake up.

"Oh shut it short stack." she wined rubbing her eyes. She was the shortest of the Manhattan newsies but still made fun of the other short ones.

She stood up and dropped to the floor from her top bunk, brushing her hair as she did with her hair brush, the bottom bunk was empty as it was Jacks but he slept on the roof. Y/n clipped up her suspenders and walked to the end of the room where Race, Albert and Specs were talking.

She walked over and plopped herself down on a stool next to them, "Mornin'" Race greeted her.

She smiled at him and felt a small amount of heat hit her cheeks. They started talking for a moment before hearing Jack yell from the roof, "Hey! Specs, Racer, Henry, Albert, Elmer, N/n. Get a move on, boys. Them papes don't sell themselves!"

Everyone in the room jumped up and grabbed their things, Y/n stood up and walked with Race and Albert to the door, "Hey, Albert,    Elmer, Specs! You heard Jack. Get a move    on." Race called to the room.

"I was havin' the most beautiful dream. My    lips is still tingling." Albert spoke besides us.

"A pretty girl?" Y/n nudged his arm smirking annoyingly.

"A leg of lamb." he stated.

Y/n laughed lightly and turned to Race who held his usual cigar in his mouth, she swiped it from his lips and held it to hers.

"Hey! That's my cigar!" he wined.

"You can just steal another." she shrugged before he dragged it from her lips and took it in his again.

Everyone walked outside to the gates ready for the news to be written along the chalk bored above them, they watched as it was written Trolley strike enters 3rd week.

All the newsies sighed angrily, "Three weeks of the same story!" Race moaned.

"Their killin' us with that snoozer." Finch waved his arms at the sign through the bars.

Y/n put her head through the bars upset, "I was hopin' to eat tonight." she felt her stomach and it growled, she bent into herself in slight pain. Race protectively pulled her into a side hug and watched her as she started to blush but looked down.

All the newsies watched as the two dumbest people strutted up proudly, "Make way, step aside." Morris spoke.

"Dear me, what is that unpleasant aroma? I    fear the sewer may have backed up during the night." Y/n giggled as Race waved a hand in front of his face.

"Or could it be... The Delancey Broddas" Y/n ended. Her and Race smirked at the Delancey's.

They unlocked the gate and Finch stepped out first, "Hey, Oscar, word on the street says you    and your brother took money to beat up striking trolley workers." he walked up face to face with Oscar.

"So? It's honest work." The guy shrugged. Y/n walked out with Albert who moved to Oscar.

"But crackin' the heads of defenceless workers?" Albert spoke up as Finch moved back.

"I take care of the guy who takes care of me." Oscar puffed up his chest to look all manly, Y/n stepped out in front and she felt both Race and Jack stiffen behind her.