Hey Spot - 9

Y/n had just left the boys in the lodging house and had gone out to get away from the loud yelling in the stuffy room. She started to walk around Manhattan until she slowly walked out of it and across the Brooklyn bridge. She stopped and stared out over the shining water and smiled to herself, she adjusted her news cap and moved the edges of her hair then set off to continue her walk. She reached Brooklyn and moved into the alley ways and quieter spots of Brooklyn to not be spotted but of cores newsies were all over the streets.

After a while, Y/n walked through Brooklyn and managed to get to Queens, she had never been this far from Manhattan on her own and by the time she had got through Queens, to Brooklyn again it was starting to get dark and she didn't know her way around.

As she walked, she saw another newsies. She took a deep breath and walked over, "Hey newsie? Know the way to 'Hattan?" she slumped her body on a the wall next to her but flinched as she lent on her wound.

"How'd ya get that?" the tall brunette asked, he flopped the front of her news cap slightly with his finger.

"I'm a newsie. Now which way to 'Hattan?" she asked again, fixing her cap and crossing her arms.

The boy lent back and eyed her up and down, "Your that girly that Spot goes on abou' right? Y/n?"

Y/n sighed, getting irritated, "Yeah. Now which way to Manhattan."

"I'll show you if ya come back to the lodging house. Spot'll be very impressed." the guy stood up straight and lent into her.

"I think I'm good. Tell me where to go."

"If ya come back with me then we'll be glad ta help ya."

Y/n sighed and thought through her options for a moment. Her arms fells to her side and she looked around the now dark streets, "Fine."

The brunette smiled and gestured for her to follow him. They walked for a little while longer until they reached the Brooklyn lodging house and the boy grabbed her shoulder making Y/n flinch and he looked down confused. "What was that about?" he asked.

"Just got in a fight. Bad shoulder." she shrugged to avoid answering and turned to the door again, "Let's get this over with."

They opened the door to the lodging house, a bunch of Spots goons looked at the door and tilted their heads at Y/n until the short man himself came out.

"Y/n?" he asked.

"Yeah, hey Spot. Could ya help me get back to 'Hattan?" she shook her head.

"It's a bit dark for you to be out? How'd Jack let ya go?" Spot walked closer to her and smiled.

"Haven't seen 'im all day. He's bin out with the new kids." she shrugged and looked down at him, "Now can ya help me get back before he kills me."

"Of cores beautiful." Y/n rolled her eyes at the name as Spot walked with her out the door and started to lead her to the Brooklyn bridge. "Why ya in Brooklyn anyway?"

"had ta get away from all the boys. There very loud after the strike." she answered, looking for her way back.

"Oh yeah, there was a fight right? Next time ya can count on Brooklyn ta back ya up, don't want a pretty girl like you gettin' hurt again." he pointed to her bruised jaw and she smiled.

"Thanks Spot. I'll tell the guys." she nodded at him when they reached the Brooklyn bridge and she turned to him. "Thanks for ya help."

He nodded, "See ya for the next fight." he removed his hat and saluted to the girl then ran off back to Brooklyn.

Y/n turned away and went to the Manhattan lodging house. She opened the door and all the boys looked up to her.

"Where have you been?!" Albert jumped up and pulled her into the room.

"Race has been worryin' all day since you left." Specs patted her good shoulder and turned her to face him.

"I-I'm sorry I just went for a walk. I'm fine. Where's Race?" She looked around the lodging house.

"He'll be back soon. We looked all over Manhattan. Were were you?" Finch looked out the window and saw Race running over.

"I went to Queens and Brooklyn. Got lost." she answered.

Suddenly the door shot open and Race sprinted inside, he looked around and saw Y/n stood in the middle of the room. He ran towards her and threw his arms around her waist, spinning her into his hug in the air. Y/n threw her head into his shoulder and tightened her hold around his neck.

"Where were you? I looked all over 'Hattan." he was so tired from running around Manhattan, he squeezed her waist tightly as he lowered her to the ground.

"I'm sorry I went to Brooklyn and Queens. Spot said that he's with us." She answered and Race looked at her terrified face as she spoke.

"Why were you at Brooklyn?" He asked, scanning her body for any new wounds.

"I'm fine Racey... I went for a walk and got a bit lost." She nodded at him calmly and pressed her head into his chest again.

"Promise me ya ok?" She nodded and he continued with a sigh, "We godda go to Medda's theatre for a rally. Davey organised it, even Brooklyn's coming." Race loosened his grip and smiled at her.

"Really? Wait have you seen Jack?"

"No but Davey says he's talking to Pulitzer." Race squeezed her hands.

"What? Ok so when is the rally?" she asked with a tone of worry.

"8pm." he answered and Y/n calmed slightly. All the newsies calmed and sat back down, pulling out a set of cards and they all started to play some games until 8.