Mornin' - 17

I walked inside the lodging house and was met with a rapid yelling and cheering from all the boys inside. They ran at me and I was dragged into the middle of the room and spun around on the creaky wooden floor. I laughed as my hair settled again and I looked around at all the boys.

"Enjoy the show?" I asked with a giggle and spun on my heel, heading to my bunk and hanging my news cap on the edge.

"You sing?!" I heard Elmer squeak from his bunk, peering over the edge as I unbuttoned the top part of my shirt.

"Yes and?" I teased, climbing into my bunk and hanging my legs over the edge.

I fluffed up my hair and looked around the room, "Is Jack on the roof?" I asked, seeing that he was missing from the group.

"Ya broddas gone of with Kathrine!" Romeo winked at me as I asked the question.

I sighed and rubbed my face, so he tries to leave for his dumb Santa Fe then runs of with his rich girl and leaves his dumb little sister behind. I flopped back on my bed and turned to face the wall, feeling my eyes start to sting slightly.

"You alrigh' beautiful?" Race climbed up onto my bunk and rest his hand on my waist. I nodded at the wall but only received a sigh from the blonde, "And that means no."

He climbed to sit next to me and peered over at my sad expression, "He just leaves... all the time and abandons his annoying li'tle sister." I made my voice all squeaky as I rubbed my face and ran a hand through my hair.

Race hugged me from behind and kissed my cheek, "Forget Jack. You are an amazin', strong gurl who can do anything without the need of a brodda."

I small smile spread onto my face and I tucked myself further into his hug. "Ok." I slowly fell asleep.

~~~

The next day, I was awoken by Race who shuffled in his hug and shifted to gently wake me up, I grumbled into his chest and heard a laugh come from the other side of the room. 

The dim light of the lodging house hit my face and I squinted my already closed eyes. I could feel Race moving his arms that snaked around my torso, his fingers squeezing my waist. I slowly opened my eyes as I felt Race's warm lips peck my nose. I smiled and sat up, rubbing my face and moving my air from my face.

"Mornin' pretty." I saw his blue eyes scanning my tired face, a small smirk plastered onto his lips. 

I tucked my head further into his chest, listening to his heart breath with a fast rhythm, "Mornin'" 

I heard another chuckle from the other side of the room until the circulation bell rung around the room. I shifted and sat up letting Race jump from the bed and onto the floor where he almost immediately got harassed with joking comments, I listened as Tommy boy and Mush laughed with Race. 

I shifted to that my legs dangled off the edge of my rusty old bed. I felt it shift below my light weight, cracking at it's rusting edges. I ran my hands along my stomach, feeling the bones sticking from my skin at my  foodless state. My smile flattened and my eyes drooped, a deep sigh left my lips. 

"Y/n?" I looked up at Races call, "You comin' to Jacobi's Deli?" 

I nodded, jumping from the thin mattress and onto the wood below, I flattened the top of my hair and made my way to the large group of boys standing in the doorway. Race held out his hand so I happily took it, moving to his side so that we walked together in the middle of the group of loud, talking boys. 

We arrived at the deli and I looked around for Jack, I furrowed my eye brows as I scanned the tables, not seeing him at all. I followed Race, him leading me through the wooden tables and chairs to the one in the middle where Elmer, Crutchie, Albert and Specs. 

Race pulled up another chair from the table next door that he sat on as I took a seat besides Specs. I looked at Crutchie who was in front of me, "Where's Jack?" I glanced around the room again.

"I think he's off at The World with Kathrine." he nodded at me with a smile. 

I returned it. A small smile that seemed to show my sad expression as I saw Crutchie furrow his eye brows and twist his head to the side but before he could ask, Jacobi came in and started to hand out water.