Welcome to my show! - 15

I sold my last pape to a kind old lady who handed me a dime, I stored it in my pocket and fixed my cap back to my head. I started to walk back to the lodging house until I looked around and saw Les selling on his own. 

"Hey Les. Where's Davey at?" I asked, walking up to him and brushing my hair from my eyes. 

"I'm sellin' on me own!" He squeaked, trying to sound like Jack with a thick New York accent which just sounded like he was drunk. 

I laughed lightly at him, "Alrigh'. How many papes ya got left?" I flopped the front of his hat annoying him just a little. 

"Just sold my last paper!" he smiled again, fixing his hat and waving his empty bag in my face. 

"Alrigh' let's head home and make sure Davey isn't crying abou' you leavin'." I ruffled his hair and took him by the shoulder, taking him to the lodging house again where not many people were back yet. Just Albert, Romeo and Finch with Spot.

"Heya fellas!" I tipped my hat to them in a laugh and allowed Les to run freely inside. 

They all looked over from their conversation, "Here comes the bride!" Romeo cheered. 

I rolled my eyes and walked to my bed, placing all my new money into my little jar of coins under my pillow and hung my news cap on the end of my bed along with my bag. I then grabbed a small pair of scissors from the side of my bed and held it up to my hand, examining it for a moment.  

I walked to a small, cracked mirror that hang on the wall and grabbed the edges of my h/c hair and started to chop, cutting at the thin strands of hair until it was all evened out and not as long as it had been. I spun in the mirror and checked it all before nodding to myself and taking the scissors back to my bed. 

"Oh N/n? We all headin' to Medda's soon cause she's singin' as a celebration for us all." Finch nodded at me once I put down the knife. 

"Ok. I'll head over now, I need ta talk ta Medda." I nodded at them before walking to the door then turned back and lent against the frame, "Tell Racey where I am." they all sniggered as I left and gently closed the door behind me. 

~~~

I walked into the theatre from the secret entrance on the balcony's. Below on stage was Medda and a few other performers walking around setting thing us more tonight. I walked down and onto stage, "Y/n Kelley!" Medda opened her arms. 

I ran into her arms and wrapped my arm around her torso, "Hi Medda. So performing tonight?" I asked for the list of performers for the newsies special show. 

"Yours truly!" she began with a little spin and flicked her skirt, "Bowery Beauties..." she named a bunch of other acts that I didn't know off and then said the last one, "And, you!" 

"Ya' what now?" I furrowed my eyes brows.

"You've performed for me so many times, I have 4 different dresses for you to wear and even a suit, please N/n." she held onto my right arm. 

"But that wasn't in front of the other newsies!" I replied, stretching out my hands and gesturing towards the rows of seats in the theatre. 

"Please." she begged with huge puppy dog eyes. 

I sighed, thinking off Race, Albert and Elmer laughing at me as I sang, "Fine..." 

"Yes! Thank you! Your going to close the show, there will be a gap before your performance so you can sneak away from the boys and get changed then sing!" She spun around the stage, joining everyone else in the hustle and bustle of getting ready. "Come with me to pick your outfit." 

She pulled me into the back rooms and we picked out a short black dress that  showed most of my thighs but stopped not to high up and short sleeves that has small patterns along them. I hung it on the back off the door of my small dressing room and then fixed my news cap and walked to the wings and looked out at all the newsies had now arrived. 

I walked down to everyone and weaved through them reaching Race, Elmer and Albert who were sat on the higher balcony's waiting for the show to start, Race had saved a seat next to him. 

"Here she is!" Elmer pointed at me as I walked over anxiously. 

"Hey. Ya alrigh' beautiful?" Race asked, seeing my scared face.

I sat down timidly next to him and lent my head on his shoulder, he furrowed his eye brows and wrapped his arm around my waist and turned me to be in his chest. I grumbled into his shirt and dug my face further into him. He pulled me closer to him and rubbed my back. 

"What happened?" he asked, playing the edge of my hair. 

I grumbled again in his chest and he looked around at everyone else confused, before kissing my head. "I was just talkin' to Medda." I looked up at him and sat in my seat.

He went to say something before being cut off by the start of the show, "Newsies of New York! Welcome to my theatre! And enjoy all the acts that we have instore!" Medda walked off stage and on walked a younger man who started to dance. 

~~~

Medda had just finished her song and there was a small break before the last act, I stood up and moved, my seat flipping up as I did, and tapped Race on the shoulder, "I'm going to find Kathrine." he nodded at me and smiled. 

I walked backstage and into my dressing room, changing into the black dress and fluffing up my hair, setting my clothes to the side when there was a knock on the door and in walked Medda.

 "I can't do this Medda I-" 

"You can, you have done this so many times and they will love it." she patted my back and moved my hair a little. 

"But Race an-"

"Y/n I promise you can do this... Race will love it." she nodded at me and I sighed, "Now take a breath and put on a smile for me." 

I did as instructed and played with the hem of my dress before Medda took my hand and lead me to the wings, I poked my head out and saw all the newsies waiting for the next performance. I looked over to the balcony's and saw Albert and Race talking and glancing at the stage. My heart beat wildly in my chest when the lights dimmed and Medda told me to go on. I let out a shaky breath and stepped out. 

I looked up as Race's eyes widened and he sat up straight, leaning over the railing to stare at me in the dress. I moved to the middle of the stage and shuffled slightly then started to sing. Dancing around the stage as my confidence increased with each note. I looked around at all the newsies, Jack and Crutchie's mouths hanging open as I sang. 

I swung my skirt and circled with it as I sang a longer note and I watched as Race's eyes followed my movements. I finished my song and an immediate applause followed my last note. I bowed to all my friends and family then scurried off stage into Medda's arms. 

"Why'd you make me do that?" I sighed. 

She laughed lightly and lead me to my room, letting me change back into my original much comfier clothes. I fixed my cap to my head and walked out the room and into the lobby off the theatre. I was scooped into a hug, I laughed and looked at Race who's mouth hung open, "You can sing!" he kissed my cheek rapidly making blush spread across my cheeks. 

"It wasn't that good! relax." I rubbed my eyes and yawned. 

"You want to go back to the login' house?" he asked still with a huge grin plastered onto his face. The theatre was quiet now as most newsies had gone back by now. I nodded and we walked home.