Newsies off New York... - 14

I stepped outside Pulitzers office with Davey and Spot along with Governor Roosevelt. We stood in the hall, leaning against the door of the office as I listened through it to try and find out what they were saying until the Governor took away my attention.

"So you jack's sister? Y/n? Was the carriage ride enjoyable?" he asked with a smirk, looking at all the bruises and wounds on my face.

"Well I was leavin' the worst place I the world so yes, yes it was." I smiled kindly at him and shook his hand, having a similar reaction to Jacks.

"Ah yes, the refuge, I must do something about that." My eyes widened and a huge smiled spread onto my face and the man chuckled.

We continued the small talk until Jack and Pulitzer walked out after not killing each other. I smiled at him and we walked outside onto a small balcony and I watched Jack talking. I looked over all the newsies and my eyes met with Races, he had a huge smile on his face and was holding onto a large sign with, STRIKE!, written along the wood.

"Newsies off New York..." Jack took everyone's attention. "WE WON!"

The whole square erupted in clapping, cheering and yelling. I looked down over all the kids and my eyes set on the tall blonde in the front, he cigar hanging in one hand as he jumped around with the others, waving around his sign. He looked up at me again and I turned away, sprinting down the metal stairs and running towards him. Race threw open his arms and pulled me into his chest. My hands held behind his neck as we jumped around in an exited hug. Albert, Specs and Elmer ran towards us and joined the jumping pile.

"And now I'd like to introduce my very own personal pal, Governor Theodor Roosevelt himself!" Jack called above all the cheering boys and shook hands with Roosevelt again.

the Governor took his place where Jack had stood and looked over all the children, "Each generation must, at the height of its power, step aside and invite the young to share the day. You have laid claim to our world and I believe the future, in your hands, will be bright and prosperous." He raised his hands from the bar, allowing the kids to clap again.

I held onto Race's hand, smiling widely at him as he did to me. I felt his fingers squeeze my palm and we looked back at the Governor who continued, "And your drawing along with Y/n's words, have brought another matter to bear." Albert nudged my side and smirked proudly at me, "Officers, if you please!"

From behind us there was a low whistle and we all looked back to two police officers dragging in the old rat himself, Snyder. He struggled in their grip with a growl. I started to laugh at the man who glared at me, "It's Snyder the spider!" I giggled and waltzed up to him. The man tried to kick at me but I jumped back and just laughed.

There was another whistle from behind me and I turned to see a flurry of kids run into the square, lots that I recognised from the refuge. And one man leading them all, "Hey Jack look it's Crutchie!" Race called.

Crutchie wobbled towards us, bruises on his face and arms but a huge smile still spread over his face as usual, "Hey fellas! Ya miss me?" he smirked.

I looked at all the other boys filing into the square and my eyes set on one of them, a tall black hair boy with similar scars running over his neck and arms to me, his dark green eyes drained and tired. I ran at him when he looked up and saw me, his eyes widened before his arms flew open and I landed in his chest, "SKIPS!" I yelled.

"N/n! Your ok! I though' they got you when ya disappeared!" I stepped away from his hug and scanned all the scars that I remembered he had, along with a few new ones.

"Ya finally got out." I smiled at him before I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked to Race who watched Skips in front of me.

"Who's dis?" I asked, keeping his eyes on the boy still faffing over me.

"Skips. I new him from the times I've been in the refuge." I answered.

"Oh. I'm Race, Y/n's boyfriend." he shook Skips' hand with a glare.

Our conversation was cut short by the Governor speaking again, "Jack, with these drawings you made an eloquent argument for shutting down The Refuge. Be assured that Mr. Snyder's abuses will    be    fully    investigated. Officers, take I'm away!" the bulls started to drag away the man.

"Your highness? May I do the honours?" Crutchie took of his cap and bowed slightly to Roosevelt. I laughed a little at him as h received a nod as an answer.

Crutchie grabbed a pair of handcuffs and slapped them over Snyder's wrists, "You have got to be joking." Snyder spat at Crutchie.

"An you'll be laughin' all the way to the pen little man." Crutchie raised his crutch and smacked Snyder in the butt with hit before he got dragged off to jail.

"Thank you Governor!" Jack waved up at Roosevelt and embraced Crutchie in his right arm.

Pulitzer stepped forwards on the balcony and thought for a moment, "I can't help thinking... if one of your drawings convinced the governor to close The Refuge, what might a daily political cartoon do the expose the dealings in our own government back rooms?" he turned to the Governor and twiddled the end of his moustache, "What do you say, Teddy? Care to have this young man's artistry shine a lantern behind your closed doors?"

I looked over at Jack and smiled reassuringly but he looked away and started to walk towards the exit to the square, "Don't sweat it Gov. With the strike settled, I should be hittin' the road." he fixed his hat and started to walk away.

My heart dropped, he still just wanted to leave and abandon his dumb little sister. I felt a tear dropped onto my eyes lashes but I blinked it back quickly and turned around, walking towards an alley to leave before Elmer grabbed my arm and held me back. I looked up at him sadly but he shook his head and widened his eyes at me. I new what he was saying so I nodded and stood beside him.

"Don't you ever get tired of singing the same old tune? What's Sante Fe got that New York ain't? Tarantulas?" Davey stepped towards Jack.

"Better yet, what's New York got that Sante Fe ain't?" Kathrine stood next to him and took his attention away from Davey.

"New York's got us. And we're family." Crutchie nodded towards my saddened state making Jack think again.

Everyone watched Jack think for a moment before being cut off, "Didn't I hear something about the strike being settled?" Pulitzer walked back to the comfort of his office as Medda quickly swooped up Governor Roosevelt and walked off with him.

"Papes for the Newsies line up boys!" Wiesel squeaked from the stand. Him and the Delancey's looked defeated and frustrated.

I walked to the stand with Race and slapped my cash on the box smirking at them and snatching my 100 papes from Morris's hands. Race did the same right after me and we walked back waiting for the others. I looked around the area and my eyes landed on Kathrine and Jack, they were talking closely about something, his hand in hers until they kissed. His hand around her head kissing a long passionate kiss.

"GUYS!" Les screeched in the corner.

Everyone looked up and started to cheer, I looked at Race who yelled out happily to Jack and jumped up and down, pulling off his hat. I smiled and clapped my hands together. I turned to Race who looked down at me and a smile grew on his face, "Shall we?" he winked.

I wheezed a laugh and nodded, his hands gently brushed the back of my head and my arms wrapped around his neck, our lips connecting in a passionate kiss, our lips dancing over each other and our noses brushing. I heard another yell of cheers and clapping then Elmer behind me squeak some sort of dumb phrase. And everyone else whistled and cat called around us.

We pulled apart and I saw Jack smiling approvingly in the corner, "Well Jack... are you in or you out?" Davey asked, packing his papes into his bag.

"Well I've been busy!" He raised his arms in defence, gesturing to Kathrin who laughed.

Yells of laughter carried through the square as Jack moved towards the paper stand and turned to me, I hit his back with one of my papes forcing him around again as he raised his hand with 50 cents in and then slammed the money on the counter. Everyone cheered. Jack snatched up his papes and all the newsies ran from the square, calling all passers by, selling papers and gaining money again. Everything back to normal... well as normal as it was since before the strike started.