She got the worst of it... - 7

We celebrated. I ran up to Kathrine and smiled brightly at her as we tore up papers and threw them around the ground. Everyone went silent, I looked up and saw Snyder with the Delancey's and about 20 other adults staring at us all. Snyder banged a metal bat against the wall, "Time these kids learned a lesson!" I looked over at Race who was already staring at me in our frozen state. 

"Newsies!" Jack called, he was face to face with Wiesel, "GET 'EM!"

Paper's flew through the air as all the adults ran at us with fists baled. I turned and was face to face with Snyder who held his large metal bat and swung at me, I ducked quickly and ran behind him as Morris grabbed my arm and yanked me into him.

Their was loud screaming and yelling with metal on metal and bangs clattering around the square. Morris punched me in the jaw and I stumbled back as he laughed. He walked towards me again and I ducked below his punches, kicking him in the leg but he grabbed my hair an threw me to the ground.

I scurried away and looked around, Jack was running from one of the adults, Kathrine was hiding in an alley near by, Race got punched in the face and went behind a wagon. I ran towards him but I was pulled back by another adult and I turned to Snyder. The bat in his hands raised and I stepped away from his swing as it bent the wooden crate behind me. I tried to run but his bat again swung and smashed into my shoulder.

I felt all the blood rush to the wound as I fell onto the hard floor. I grabbed a paper stack in front of me and stood up quickly. Running from Snyder when everyone stopped at a loud whistle.

I looked over and saw the police. One Bull stood in front of the others and Romeo stumbled towards him, "It's about time you showed up! Their slaughtering us-" he was cut off by the mans hand punching him in the face. Romeo fell to the ground as I turned to one of the bulls running at me with some sort of weapon in his hand.

I ducked below his swing and kicked his shins, forcing him to the ground. I looked at the metal bar behind me and grabbed it quickly before turning and hitting the bull in the stomach as he stood. I retreated back as I turned to run, my shirt got caught on a sharp bar on the wall and it ripped into my already smashed shoulder, causing a huge, deep cut to form above the bruise.

I cried slightly at the pain and hovered my hand on the wounds. I felt a hand pull at my good arm and I was taken into an ally way at the side. I looked up terrified when I saw the blonde boy himself holding me close to him. Race had a bruise below his eye and he looked at my face and shoulder.

"N-N/n are you ok? I got you." He hugged me when I heard another whistle out in the square.

I looked around the corner and saw the Delancey's holding Crutchie by his arms, they punched him and he fell to the ground just as Snyder came over and Crutchie was forced onto the floor. Snyder grabbed his crutch, "It's off to the refuge with you, little man."

Snyder brought up the crutch and it flew down into Crutchie's stomach, "NO!" I screamed, I tried to run to him but Race threw his arms around my waist and held me in place.

"We can't lose you too!" Race called to my crying state as I struggled in his hug.

Hand cuffs were placed over Crutchie's hands and he was dragged by his legs away and towards the refuge, "CRUTCHIE!" I screamed.

I fell to the ground, all the pain rushing to my head as I cried, Race turned me to his chest and held me in his hug, letting me cry into is chest. Blood rushing from my arm and the bruises on my jaw a cheek bone stinging as I cried into Race's shirt, he rubbed my head and tightened his grip on me with every sob.

~~~

After a few moments, Race checked everything was clear and he picked me up in his arms, he took me into the lodging house where everyone else was sat helping each other with injuries with Kathrine. Race walked in with me lying in his arms crying but softer than before, all the boys saw my bruised face and deeply cut arm and huge bruise running over my shoulder and jumped up.

"Is she ok?!" Albert asked as Race gently lay me on the bottom bunk of my bed.

"I think she got the worst of it... Snyder used his bat on her." he sighed and held my hand in his as I sat up on the small bed.

Kathrine walked over with a small bowl of water and a bandage, she cleaned the large slice on my arm as I flinched at the pain. She bandaged up the wound and the white bandage quickly turned red like my ripped shirt had.

"Pass me your shirt and I can sew it up for you." she smiled at me as I unbuttoned it and handed her my shirt, now only wearing my vest.

Race and Albert turned all the boys around as Race handed me his shirt, "Thank you." I smiled sadly at him and buttoned up his blue shirt. All the boys turned around and smirked that I was now wearing Race's shirt, "Shut it." I rolled my eyes at them all.

"Does Jack know yet?" Elmer asked.

"No he doesn't." Race answered as he shuffled and sat beside me, running his arms around my waist and holding my hands in front of my body, rubbing my knuckles with his thumbs.

All the boys left to their own bunks and they all quickly fell asleep.