Crashing Down

Chapter Three

Crashing Down

That first week was nothing short of surreal.

Dick had to admit that the solid routine was something of a relief. The training sessions took place every morning without fail. They changed slightly, sometimes focusing on weapons or weight training. Dick spent the first few days with Wintergreen and the rest of the days doing general stretches and light movements. He still wasn't fully healed but the psychical therapy sessions with the old beta had definitely helped.

Alfred and Wintergreen seemed to have come to a silent agreement with one another. Alfred's dedication to the pups he helped raise outweighed his dislike towards the new alpha. Wintergreen was thoroughly loyal to Slade but was willing to be perfectly amicable to the new pack though he would never prioritise their needs over his master's.

After training, the boys would shower and eat. Alfred would take Damian and Tim to school and Dick and Jason would be left to their own devices. Slade spent most of that first week prowling Wayne Manor, learning its rooms, and studying the books in the library. Dick had waited with dread for Slade to ask about the bat cave. It made them all uncomfortable to have a someone other than Bruce going through the files and handling the equipment. So far, the mercenary hadn't asked. Apparently, he hadn't needed to yet.

Slade had selected an office for himself as well as main sleeping quarters, neither had been previously Bruce's. There were so many rooms in the massive Manor house that there was no need. It probably would have been too abrasive and unpleasant to sleep in the quarters of the previous alpha. It would take close to a month to completely get rid of the old alpha's scent.

Slade must have been doing something right elsewhere too because the stock market for Wayne Enterprises Inc, which had been sitting at an all-time low, was actually improving for the first time in nine months. He had clearly entered into the business with some prior knowledge. This annoyed Damien, worried Tim and didn't surprise Dick in the slightest. Deathstroke was many things but stupid and unprepared had never been among them.

Jason and Dick were allowed to leave for patrol which generally meant Jason disappeared for hours at a time. Dick couldn't blame him. He had been half afraid that the beta would leave and not come back. He had no idea what Slade would do if he tried. Dick had the strangest sensation they were being watched where-ever they went.

Night-time patrols were carried out every evening in pairs. They were always expected to debrief with Wintergreen or Slade before turning in. Dinner was its own insanity. It was absolutely ridiculous to have all seven of them sitting down for an evening meal together like some utterly backward family. Damian had not stepped out of line again since that first day. The wound on his neck wasn't healing well. It bled often and Slade would not give Alfred or Wintergreen permission to wrap it. Clearly, he wanted the lesson to sink in.

Dick was still waiting for disaster to strike, and he wasn't the only one. The whole pack was on edge. Slade had yet to make a move on Dick or Tim, but the potential was enough to make everything anxious. Tim might be underage but there were plenty of people who considered omegas of breeding capacity as soon as they went through their first heat. That could happen as young as ten. Most first world countries put in some petty measures to discourage underage sex, but enforcement of those laws was rare at best and a joke at worst.

Dick, left in the massive manor alone, found himself generally back in the training room. He stood at the punching bag, letting his muscles move instinctively as his mind spun. He was sleeping worse the ever. Sick with worry and nerves, he couldn't close his eyes for more than a couple of hours at a time.