𝟎𝟎𝟐. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐢𝐫𝐝𝐨 𝐨𝐧 𝐦𝐚𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐭

THE GIRL WAS SCARED AND COLD

THE GIRL WAS SCARED AND COLD. All four surrounded the girl who shivered in Mike's couch in the basement.
Veronica examined the girl, thinking she had to be a runaway or something. That's the only logical reason. The Harrington girl looked at the Henderson boy who locked eyes. Both faces turned red and pink once they realized their hands were intertwined together. The two then directed their eyes back to the girl. Mike wanted to take this girl home; Lucas tried to argue but there's no way to negotiate with Mike once he's made up his mind.
Veronica sat next to the girl on what they dubbed Mike's couch: Ronnie's Spot. Veronica examined her scared eyes and heavy. The girl furrowed her dark eyebrows. "Is there a number we can call for your parents?" Veronica asked calmly and quietly. The girl seemed to warm up to Veronica quickly.
"Where's your hair? Do you have cancer?" Dustin asked loudly in an incredibly interested tone.
"Did you run away?" Lucas continued.
"Are you in some kind of trouble?" Mike added. While the boys were bombarding her with questions, Veronica was off finding some warm clothes in the Wheeler basement for her.
"Is that blood?" Lucas goes to reach out for her. Veronica in time smacked Lucas's eager hand out of the way and placed the clothes on the table.
"Stop it, your freaking her out!" Mike yelled, defending the girl.
"She's freaking me out!" Lucas fired back.
"I bet she's deaf." Dustin states looking at everyone. Veronica groans and runs her fingers through her hair. The two girls sitting on the couch jump as Dustin he claps his hands in front of the girl's face. Veronica quickly opened her eyes to see the scared girl finch harder than ever has in her life. "Not deaf."
"All right that's enough alright? She's just scared and cold." Mike yells before watching Veronica snag the clothes she placed on the table. Veronica shares a smile with the girl. Just as the girl began to smile back, thunder rumbles making the girl flinch out of it.
"Here, these are clean, okay?" Veronica says, handing her the clothes that were once on the table. The girl takes them and places the warm clothes to her face, the warmth spreading to her cold, pale cheeks. The girl stands up, attempting to pull off her yellow Benny's Diner shirt in front of everyone. The boys start yelling and screaming while Veronica pulls the yellow shirt back down. While the boys recovered from the scary scene, Veronica led the girl to Mike's bathroom.
"Privacy...get it?" Mike says, walking up the bathroom door. Veronica claims her spot back on the couch, watching Mike shut the door.
"This is mental..." Dustin trails off. Veronica sighs, patting the couch signaling for Dustin to sit down with her.
     "At least she can talk." Veronica added, trying to look on the bright side; which she never really does.
"She said no and yes my three year old sister says more." Lucas commented sarcastically.
"She tried to get naked!" Dustin will forever be traumatized by that moment.
"There's something seriously wrong with her. Like wrong in the head." Lucas encouraged, scaring the rest of the boys.
"She just went like!" And Dustin yells, stupidity tried to copy what the girl did when she tried to "get naked". His hat fell down during the process.
"Great interpretation, idiot." Veronica laughs while picking up his hat. He smiles and they stuck their tongues out at each other playfully.
"I bet she escaped from Pennhurst." Lucas sneered.
"From where?" Mike asked.
"That nuthouse in Kerley County."
"You got a lot of family there?" Dustin teased. Veronica laughs only earning a stare from Lucas.
     "Bite me." Lucas threatened, getting angrier by the minute.
     "Cool it, Sinclair." The Harrington says, joining her friends in their little circle.
"Seriously though, think about it that would explain her shaved hair and hey she's so crazy" Lucas professed. Although the Sinclair boy could most likely be right, something felt wrong about his statement about the girl.
"Why she went like—" Dustin demonstrated again, still stupidly.
"She's an escapee is the point she's probably psycho." Lucas sputters.
"Like Michael Myers." Dustin whispered with fear.
"Exactly." Lucas agreed. Mike looks at the boys looking annoyed. Mike and Veronica looked to each other, then looked back to a panicked Dustin and Lucas. "We should have never brought her here!"
"So you just wanted to leave her out in that storm?" Veronica defended. Of course Veronica isn't the person to trust a random girl in the woods but when she does, she has a reason. Although this reason couldn't be explained now, it sure helps later.
"Yes we went out to find Will! Not another problem!"
"I think we should tell your mom." Dustin recommended.
"I second that." Mike and Veronica broke their eye contact and turned back to the disapproving boys as the Harrington and Wheeler stood by his side, showing their alliance.
"Who's crazy now?" Mike hollers at the boys.
"How is that crazy?"
"Cause we weren't supposed to be out tonight remember?"
"So?" Lucas hissed.
"So if Mike tells his mom and she tells your mom and my mom and Dustins mom..." Veronica explained, making Mike smile to himself knowing he had someone on his side. Once boys finally understood, their faces dropped.
"Oh man." Dustin babbled, placing his head in his hand.
"Our houses will become Alcatraz." Lucas stammers, looking to Veronica who nods in agreement.
"We'll never find Will." Veronica announced.
"Alright, here's the plan she sleeps here tonight." Lucas and Dustin's mouth dropped. Veronica wasn't one to give much of a shock when it comes to the boy's shenanigans but this was a whole other level of shock.
"You're letting a girl—"
"Just listen," Mike interrupted. "in the morning she sneaks around my house, goes to front door, rings my doorbell my mom will answer and know exactly what to do. She'll send her back to Pennhurst or wherever she comes from and we'll be totally in the clear. Tomorrow night we go back out and this time we find Will!" Mike exclaimed. All the boys look at Veronica waiting for her opinion. She took a deep breath in, examining all three boys, then looking to the bathroom where the girl was changing. What other choice did she have?
"Alright, let's do this shit."