Chapter four: Retrospective.

Chocolate brown eyes watched the dying flame tucked neatly within the marble fireplace intently. His gaze hard as he thought back to the previous events that took place today.

The outrageous fire that swallowed Knothole and the trees that once surrounded it whole. The screams and desperation of the citizens in the aforementioned village. The countless of machines that mercilessly took innocents away from their homes and families and ruthlessly hurt those that tried fighting against them.

And then there was him.

A frown gradually formed across his ash and dirt smothered muzzle as that certain memory came to the forefront of his mind. How could he have failed? His eyes narrowed on the small flames opposite him. Once so much larger and threatening. Once surrounding such a welcoming, peaceful place. Tearing it down and destroying it entirely. The previous memory came back into focus. Massive blue rays showering down on the village below, snatching up the poor mobians in seconds.

Taking him away.

The dark blue hedgehog tore his eyes away from the flames at the image of a lighter blue hedgehog with a bushy, white moustache and brows. The father chose to take in the homey surroundings he now sat within instead.

Above the mud toned fireplace hung a large, circular mirror (spikes reaching out from it's edges). The walls were a pastel yellow and the floors dusky wood, topped by the fluffy, white rug. To the left of the fireplace was a window with the view of a small park and many more homes, entrapped within large blue and pink floral curtains. The sofa he currently sat on was dark blue upholstery fabric with what appeared to be handmade checkered floral pillows. Neighbouring the fireplace's right stood a white archway that led to the other rooms in the house, a delicate little brown table beside it with a record player sat atop. A wenge wooden coffee table was set opposite him where a rabbit was currently setting a tray of tea and biscuits down.

"Please, enjoy yourselves." She smiled gently.

"Thank you."

The brown eyed father turned to his left to see his wife, Bernadette, who reached for one of the elegant cups. He watched her take a sip before looking over the pictures that were hung on the walls.

"Who is that?" He asked, pointing to one that hung beside a plant in the corner of the room.

The rabbit turned to where he aimed. "My husband." She neared the photo and pinched it's bottom left corner.

It was a wedding picture. She stood at the left with a classic, white dress and lace veil. Beside her a cream rabbit with chocolate brown patterns had an arm wrapped around her waist with the top half of a suit worn. Both were smiling directly back at her, showing the hands that held their wedding rings.

A crooked smile formed on her own muzzle and she turned to the couple that were perched on her couch. "Chocola. He's at work right now, but he'll be home soon." She went to sit on the armchair.

"You look very happy, Vanilla. Both of you." Bernadette noted.

"Oh yes!" The rabbit rubbed over her belly. "And now that we're expecting...." Her smile grew.

"Congratulations." The hedgehog couple immediately replied.

"Thank you. I see you already have quite the family." Vanilla chuckled and turned to the three hoglets that were inspecting her bookshelf.

An energetic blue hoglet was currently attempting to climb the large cupboard, occasionally turning to the chipmunk that watched him below and sending her a one liner that got her giggling. His older, pink sister was reading the names across the spines of the books, telling her climbing brother to get down now and again, as the youngest of the three watched his brother in awe.

"Does he always do that?" Vanilla asked with a glint of amusement in her eyes.

"Olgilvie? Climb? He doesn't stop moving." Jules Hedgehog chuckled as said hoglet turned to watch the adults at the sound of his name.

"Not that we can ever catch him to get him to rest anyway." Bernadette added in good humour.

"And then you have Manic who wants to be just as fast. So he follows his brother around, always trying to keep up." The father nodded.

"Just as fast?" The rabbit took a sip of tea.

The parent hedgehog's shared a glance before both smirked. "He's quick. Like, really quick. You wouldn't believe your eyes." The mother chuckled.

"Is that true?" The chipmunk questioned, looking up at the blue descending hoglet.

Olgilvie rubbed his nose with a grin. "Ma and dad aren't giving it enough hype if anything. Uncle Charles said I could reach the Speed of Sound or something like that."

Sally Acorn's eyes sparkled. "Oh wow! Um...where is this Uncle Charles?"

Sonia and Manic turned to her, overhearing the question, and looked a lot more solemn than before.

"He was taken."

All four children swivelled their heads towards the source of the voice to discover Jules. Bernadette held his hand as Vanilla watched the father with growing sympathy. All that knew Robotnik also were knowledgeable of what that entailed.

"Robotnik attacked our village, Knothole. Him and his machines gathered everyone up, including Charles." The father grimaced.

"I'm so sorry." Sally winced.

"It's alright dear." Bernadette smiled.

"You know." Vanilla started prior to taking another sip of tea. "I believe I know some people that may be able to help you. Chocola works with them actually. You mentioned on our way over here how you received a letter to come to this place, yes?"

Jules nodded. "Yeah. Me and Charles were offered a position in this...GUN?"

The rabbit smiled. "The newly formed military force built to protect us and take down Robotnik for good. It's hiring any who are capable enough and Chocola has mentioned you two. GUN knows who you are. They've seen what you can do."

"What we used to do. We haven't in a while."

Vanilla set down her cup. "But what if I told you they just happen to be the people that can help you?"

Bernie shifted on her seat. "You mean...?"

"Once you've all had a proper wash and something to eat, I think it's time we pay them a visit."

The father brushed a hand through the brown tuft of hair atop his head. "I don't-."

"Oh you will at least see them won't you dad?" Sonia asked, hands clasped together.

"Yeah! It would be way past cool!" Olgilvie grinned.

"We help people." Manic clapped.

"My father can welcome you too." Sally smiled.

Jules looked between the children prior to facing Bernadette, who had worried eyes yet a smile that urged for him to do this.

He grinned and flicked his nose. "Then it's time GUN knows I've showed up for work."