Chapter twenty five: Farewell.

Only Way Out by Madeon, Vancouver Sleep Clinic.
Distance by Richard Caddock and Hyper Potions.
~~~

The vast, burning ball of fire towered over polychromatic cities, blossoming forests, careening oceans and machine ridden bases. Atop a mound blanketed with mud a blue hedgehog watched as the flaming sun began to hide behind colossal mountains. His emerald eyes then switched to the silhouette of the floating island making it's weekly cycle around Northhamer. Curiosity had always pulled him towards the inexplainable island, but no opportunity had come for him to explore it.

Well, he supposed that would change now.

"Sonic?"

His head tilted a touch, allowing him to peer over his shoulder at the chipmunk who kept her arms crossed and warmly smiled. He returned it and climbed up from sitting, returning to watch the forest beyond a desolate, overgrown Knothole. Only when Sally reached his side did he begin a conversation.

"How's Bunnie?"

Bunnie Rabbot had come to stay with them a week ago, living in their Burrow since. Antoine had opted to stay too, the pair and Rotor being situated in the main living area. Bunnie was quiet for the first few days, allowing N-I-C-O-L-E to teach her how to walk again. Her Robotisized condition had seemed to grow, inexplainable to the others (for instance, they noticed her behaviours would commonly mimick that of a robot). But slowly, with Antoine loyally being at her side, she'd become more conversational. She began training with Sonic, and convinced Antoine to join. She braided and styled Sally's hair daily and helped Sonic in nagging the poor chipmunk on the idea of expansion.

"She's still having nightmares, but I think she's gonna be okay."

"She's a tough'n." Sonic looked to the chipmunk beside him and mindlessly brushed a hand over the daisy decorated braids, not noticing the other's face flush.

"Your hair's pretty."

"B-Bunnie did it." Sally cleared her throat and craned her head to face the speedster.

"She's been more talkative lately."

"Thanks to Antoine." She snorted.

Sonic laughed and tucked his hands behind his head, through his quills. "I reckon he's smitten. Not that he sees it, no matter how obvious it is. Funny that, don'tcha think?"

"Hmm?" Sally watched him face her.

"Sometimes folks are real oblivious. Can't see what's right in front of 'em."

Blue eyes darted back and forth between magnetic green, making their owner wonder if there was hidden meaning between his words, if he was teasing or merely being (ironically) dense. She rolled her eyes and flicked a finger through the others forehead quills prior to facing Knothole.

"Why'd you come out here, Sal'?"

"I wanted to see how you're doing. Besides, we should talk."

"Oh boy." Sonic sighed, arms dropping.

Sally huffed and lightly hit the other's shoulder. "You don't have to sound so exasperated!"

The speedster plucked a daisy from his companion's hair and slipped it behind her ear, grinning. "Your lectures aren't my favourite pastime."

"Le-lectures?!" The chipmunk's face reddened in frustration. "I came to apologise, Hedgehog!"

Sonic raised an eye ridge, "What for?"

Now Sally became rather bashful, lowering her head. "I-I've been selfish. A-about you leaving? I never want to be the one to hold you back. You're made for greatness after all. You're going to change the world! I suppose I just...imagined myself at your side."

Sonic's shoulders raised, his ears were stretching towards the sky, he could feel heat smothering his cheeks and he knew his eyes were as wide as they tended to be upon him laying sight on chilli dogs. For a moment, he watched how the late evening sky swept over his friend, with her bouffant hair hiding her face. Then, he warmly chuckled and brought her to look at him by tucking a finger beneath her chin.

"And I wouldn't want there to be anyone else, Sal'. It's just difficult...being back here, s'all. Besides, I think I'm more useful out there. It's not everyday you see a hedgehog who can go faster than the speed of sound." He snorted. "If ya have the power to make a difference, then it's your right to do so. But I'm always gonna find my way back to you."

Sally wrapped both her hands around the other's free one, panning back and forth between his eyes. "Would you let me join you?"

"Think you can keep up?"

"If you'll let me."

"I...yeah, I guess I can slow down for you."

Sally seemed more content and after a calm moment took a step back, letting go of his hand. "I'll let you have this one, Hedgehog."

"O-oh?"

"An adventure. I think it'll do you some good. Besides, we can get Knothole all cleaned up for you when you get back!"

"Ay?"

Sally smirked. "You and Bunnie wore me down. With our growing numbers it only seems right to expand."

Sonic clicked his fingers together. "And I'll get more recruits!"

The chipmunk clapped. "Seems there is a brain in that head of yours after all."

Sonic bowed and winked. "Not just a pretty face, Princess."

Sally's eyes rolled and her hands settled upon her hips. "How long are you thinking you're gonna be?"

The speedster straightened and fiddled with his ear. "Dunno. I-."

"I trust you. Just...just promise me you'll come back?"

Sonic smacked a hand against his chest and raised his other. "Hedgehog's honour."

Sally laughed at his antics and approached, straightening and smoothing out his slightly tattered puffer vest. "Then show Mobius what you're made of, Sonic."

—————

That following morning, the group had gathered at the back of the mound, where leaves and moss climbed up to it's top. Sally and N-I-C-O-L-E had given each other a nod prior to pulling down the apparent sheet of greenery to reveal a large piece of metal beneath. Rotor grinned upon seeing Bunnie's and Rotor's bewildered expressions (pretending he wasn't just the same a week ago) before taking out the holo-lynx's technical device. N-I-C-O-L-E herself dissipated and after a moment the metal rectangle began to slide up, slowly revealing a red plane sitting within the mound.

"H-how?" Bunnie uttered, rubbing her eyes.

"Nanites are really really handy." Sally laughed, resting an arm on the rabbits shoulder.

"Well darn, Sugah."

Antoine jumped in surprise and instinctively took Bunnie's hand (who happily squeezed in response) when the plane began rolling out from the mound. Red paint was scratched and faded, and 'Tornado' on the sides appeared more like "Tondo" now. Still, a very happy Sonic (who wore safety goggles) was sat in the pilots seat and waved to his friends below. On the passengers seat behind him rested a fully equipped brown backpack with yellow interior (courtesy of Sally).

The group smiled and flailed their hands in reply as the garage's door descended back into place. The Tornado prepared itself for flight, N-I-C-O-L-E reappeared and a tremendous gust of wind danced around the gang. Engines roared to life and Sonic whooped as the wheels lifted off the ground. The front propellor spun widely and his ears began popping as he ascended, hands tightly squeezing the yoke. Still, Sonic's ears craned at the distant noises of his friends cheering and running after him.

Below, Sally's wistful eyes watched as the Tornado disappeared behind misty clouds- grey smoke leaving a trail. She stumbled to a stop and steadied her breathing. Although she had a longing to be there in the sky with him, she found herself content knowing he'd come back to be at her side.