Chapter twenty two: You're A Wild Flower.

Prelude by The oh hellos.
~~~

A graceful leap there and a narrow swerve here. Pieces of metal scrap decorated the forests luscious green carpet, thinning out as blue blurred legs left them behind. His pointed ears flickered on occasion, catching what he thought were footsteps chasing after him. At first, he tried to convince himself it was the trees rustling together in the now evening daylight, but the noise (through stumbles and differing pace) showed him it was clearly otherwise.

Sonic was being followed.

He grinned at the thought, fists tightening as he gradually slowed just enough so it wasn't obvious. If someone chose to be a coward and silently tail him, he didn't mind messing with them in return. Especially if it meant he could lead them away from Sal-.

He cleared his throat. Lead them away from their hideout- keeping Sally safe just happened to be a bonus. He focused on the matter at hand, slowing as he skidded swiftly around a cluster of towering oak trees. Diverting expertly around another collection, he strained his ears to hear the starts of pants and stumbling treading. He kept himself from chuckling and flicked his nose upward instead.

He lowered his pace again and took a peak above him through the gaps of large arching branches. Between leaves were bright rays of the setting sun, casting oranges and purples over The Great Forest. Sonic would've smiled if the painful reminder of his location didn't cruelly run into his mind at that awfully chosen moment. A frown settled on his muzzle and so he brought his attention back onto the nearing steps catching up to him.

Up ahead a grand oak tree larger than any of it's brethren stood proudly, reaching gloriously towards the reddening sky. Sonic could hear a small gasp behind him and he raised his pace to appear as nothing but a blur. Faster than his follower could blink, the blur speedster crushed his feet against the trunk of the tree before blasting off it. He could feel the slight quiver of his legs upon the impact, but merely grinned as the adrenaline began pouring through his veins. He twirled in the air to gain sight of who'd been following him and outstretched his arms as he landed on top of the walrus, thus sending the pair rolling.

"Who are you?!" Sonic demanded almost instantly, pinning the wide eyed mobian under him.

"I-I-."

The blue hedgehog shook his head to move his forehead quills away from view and scanned for any shining, metallic parts clinging onto the walrus. Upon coming up short, he loosened his hold and reduced the extent of his glare. No, instead the walrus was nothing but that. An entirely organic mobian. With wild light purple fur and slightly shaky green eyes, he wore brown fingerless gloves and a dark red belt slung over his shoulder.

"You ain't hiding some robot parts beneath that belt or somethin' are ya?"

"N-no, sir."

Sir? Well, now that was weird. Sally wouldn't believe that in a million years.

Sonic bounced back and dusted himself off before offering his hand with a gracious smile (albeit slightly apologetic). When slowly accepted, he helped the walrus stand and flick specks of nature off him before meeting the blue hedgehog's bright gaze. Slightly unnerved by the seemingly 'flick of a switch' attitude, the purple mobian rubbed his arm and only occasionally made eye contact.

"Names Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog." The blue speedster offered a thumbs up, other hand resting on his hip. "Don't have to call me sir."

"I-I know who you are. That's why I-."

"How?" He hoped his voice didn't give away any anxious edge. Had the walrus heard of a long forgotten city and it's fall? Or perhaps the hedgehog's that showed up on the royal family's door? Does that mean this mobian could know his-