Chapter sixteen: Insurance.

His Theme (orchestra): Terkaza
Farewell: Danny Elfman
~~~

"I gather us all here today in shared mourning. We grief with our neighbours, but our anger still boils. We demand revenge. But let me tell you now, those that fell in the recent battle a week ago, they would not want you to let your anger take it's grasp. Let us rejoin, let us rebuild, and most importantly, let us heal."

Days before such a speech began, a little chipmunk sat on her father's cape as she watched wheelbarrows of machinery travel by. The scrapes of shovels made her ears flutter as mud was scooped onto larger piles. Scaffolding too had begun to snake it's way up some of the debris of fallen buildings. Soft, hydrangea toned eyes observed a lavender hedgehog deliver snacks with the assistance of two rabbits. She smiled at the scene, exhaling prior to being elbowed.

She huffed and turned to see a grinning blue hoglet with emerald green eyes. However, before she could offer a scold her view landed on the sunflower that was shoved directly to just under her nose.

"Found this. Pretty rare, so I thought you'd like it." The hoglet crouched to be eye level and smiled.

"Thank you, Olgilvie." The chipmunk gratefully accepted the gift and turned to watch the rapid movements of construction.

"Things are going quickly, even for me!" Olgilvie snorted.

"They have to. Before Robotnik attacks again."

"You think he'd come back?"

"Why wouldn't he? He almost had us just two days ago. And if he makes a move of attack soon we...."

Olgilvie watched the princesses' head lower, thus he settled himself more comfortably in advance to gently resting a hand on her shoulder. With a raised brow, he smiled at pretty blue eyes.

"I'm sure everyone'll be ready for that. My dad took him down last time with my uncle's help. And we've got your whole army! Robuttnik can show up with an even bigger ego, but we'll just have to kick him down even harder."

"How're you so sure we can win?"

"We've never lost." The blue hoglet shrugged. "That's good enough for me."

"But...Knothole?" The young princess spoke softly, watching the other's ears twitch.

"That wasn't a loss. Just a...hiccup. We'll get it back. I know it. My uncle too. Besides, I never would've met you, Sal." He beamed.

Sally's eyes widened before she giggled, "I guess that's a positive."

"Oh definitely!"

"I'm glad I met you too." She swiftly tucked the sunflower behind the hoglet's ear with a snort prior to watching the rebuilding city.

A moment of calming silence enveloped the two before the princess questioned, "Where're your siblings?"

Olgilvie rubbed his nose, "Vistin' dad. He doesn't like being cooped up in the Civic Center. Can't blame him."

Sally looked towards the building the other spoke of, one smothered in scaffolding and drowned out by construction. "Is he healing up okay?"

The hoglet snorted. "O' course. He's just wanting to lend a hand."

With a hum in response, the young princess switched her view towards the practically demolished castle. She chewed her lip at the crumbling sight, then focused her attention on the large wooden platform that was being pieced together in front of the vast structure.

"Something on your mind?" Olgilvie's head tilted.

"My father's giving a speech soon. It's a little worrying."