The Switch

Warnings: Manipulation?   (I have no idea if it counts as such but I wanted to say anyway just in case)

Shota awoke.

Rocking back and forth, like a rhythm. Like a heart beat.

He could hear the heart beat from before.

Not his own.

His eyes cracked open to see the sun just rising through a window. He was held against a warm body. A rocking body.

The body hummed a mindless tune. Shota could feel the vibrations from Shibito's body due to his low voice. It sounded raw.

Shota shifted in place.

The rocking stopped.

Shibito's hand moved from the top of the boys head to the base. The arm had blocked the boys face but when he moved he could see the wide eyes of his son staring at him. Shota looked tired. The look on his face made it seem as though he had aged 30 years.

A tired look.

"What time is it?"

A small voice.

Shibito sighed in a mixture of relief and grief. The man stared down at the boys pale face. "Just about 4." He sounded like he was about to cry.

Shoto's eyebrows furrowed. His mouth opened just a bit before saying "what's wrong?".

Disbelief was the only expression he was met with. He had just made his first kill, dissociated to the point of a coma, and now he was asking Shibito (the adult Shinobi) what was wrong.

The man just stared at him.

Shota's eyes went wide. "Oh..." He tried to sit up properly but Shibito's grip did not loosen.

"There is a lot to explain." Shibito shook his head. He pulled the boy in. His head shaking as his long arms caged the boy. Tears brimmed his eyes.

Shota sighed and hugged the man around the neck.

I guess we couldn't escape that easily

"You got that right."

Shibito looked at Shota, pulling back slightly. "Right about what?"

Shota's eyes widened. "Sorry, I'm not used to having a body yet."

Shibito was confused. He tried to talk but Shota cut him off.

"I mean, I'm normally in a...void...space. I'm not used to being squishy. No, that's not the right word. Physical? No that just sounds sexual."

Shota, no, Mono scratched their head.

"This is getting a bit confusing now."

"...Shota?" Shibito called out quietly. Unsure.

"Hm? No, I'm Mono." They pointed at their chest. "Idiot! I haven't explained!" Smacking their head as they realized the mistake. Mono shuffled about until they faced Shibito. Still perched on his lap as the man had not let go.