(2) Star-Crossed Lovers

I hummed to myself as I strolled down the street, a basket of fruit I fetched from the marketplace resting against my hip. The blue Encanto sky was littered with puffy white clouds, and a soft breeze ruffled my hair as I walked.

As I step past an alleyway between houses, a hand grabs my wrist and pulls me inside. I'm about to yell out when Camilo's hand gently covers my mouth. "Shh shh. Don't worry mi amor, it's just me."

I blush when I see that Camilo's face and my own are only inches apart, our noses practically brushing against one another. I smile as Camilo removes his hand. "Are you sure nobody will see us?" I cautiously ask.

"Positive. The families who live in these houses both own shops in the marketplace; they won't be back for a bit."

You exhale a sigh of relief. "Ah, that's good. I've been missing you a lot lately."

I was apart of the familia Bendición while Camilo was apart of the familia Madrigal. Both families were given magical gifts from our magical candles many years ago. The only problem?

Our families hated each other. There's been a feud between the Madrigals and the Bendicións for decades. My Abuelo told me that when the town was first founded both families wanted to be in charge. After a lot of fighting between the residents of Encanto and our families, the town basically split in two. The Madrigals ran one half, and the Bendicións run the other.

Nobody in either of our families intermingles, except for Camilo and me. We would often exchange loving gazes at one another from across the market, or I would use my gift of invisibility to sneak over to the Madrigal side of town, or Camilo would use his gift and shapeshift into someone entirely new so we could talk to each other without our families being suspicious.

I was slowly falling head over heels for the freckled boy, and one day, I confessed my feelings.

Long story short, we've been secretly dating for about ten months now.

Camilo cupped my cheek in his hand. "I've missed you too." He softly says.

"It's been getting harder and harder to find excuses to go so close to your side of town." I sadly say.

"Tell me about it." Camilo huffs. "I wish our families didn't have to fight."

I kiss my boyfriend's cheek. "So do I."

"That's it?"

I giggle. "What?"

"A kiss on the cheek? I know you can do better mi amor." Camilo teases, his mischievous eyes sparkling.

I smirk and bring my lips to Camilo's, as they connect I still get the same fireworks going off in my head that I got the first time we kissed.

My fingers slowly work their way into Camilo's brown curls as he deepens the kiss, sending electricity through my body. His hands trail to my back and he pulls my body close to his own, quickly turning one innocent kiss into a full-blown make-out session.

As we part both of our cheeks were bright red and we were gasping for air. Camilo slumps down against the wall of the alleyway, smiling like a total dork. I sit down next to him, lean my head on his shoulder, and intertwine our fingers. "You good?" I ask.

Camilo chuckles. "Yeah...just wondering how I managed to fall for the youngest daughter of the Bendición family. Abuela would kill me." Camilo turns his head to face me. I gaze into his stunning brown eyes. "I love you so much mi amor."

I smile at him. "I love you too." I look down at our connected hands. "But that's what scares me."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, sure we can go about this secret relationship as teenagers, but what about once we're adults? We'll never be able to go out in public together, get married, or start a life together. How long can we keep this up?"

Camilo looks at our hands. "I have no idea. But if we have to stay in hiding to be together, so be it. I don't want my family to keep me from you, (Yn)."

Tears threaten to well up in my eyes. "What if someone finds out? I don't think my family will let me see you ever again."

"You'd be right about that."

I feel my heart stop from fear. I knew that voice. I notice Camilo quickly shift into a random teenage boy who lived in the town, trying to cover up the fact that I was talking with a Madrigal.

I quickly stand up and try to act as casual as a human who was sitting in an alleyway with a boy possibly could. "Hola Andres." I nervously chuckle, waving to my older brother.

Andres glares at me with a cold expression. "Do you care to explain what's going on here?"

"Andres, I'd like for you to meet my friend..." I quickly turn around to face Camilo, hoping he already had a fake name for his shape-shifted persona. I mentally facepalm when he ever-so-slightly shrugs his shoulders in response. "My friend...CARLOS! Yeah, this is my good friend Carlos." I say, casually resting my arm on 'Carlos'' shoulder.

"Why didn't you give me a cooler name?" I quickly jab Camilo with my elbow. "NICKNAME! Yeah, my full name is...ah...Carlios...?"

Andres raised his eyebrow. "Cut the act, Madrigal. I know who you are."

Camilo crosses his arms in defeat and shifts back into himself. Andres stops over to us. "(Yn)? What were you thinking?! How could you talk to this Madrigal, let alone be in love with him?" He says the name 'Madrigal' as though he were talking about a dead rat.

"We're not-ugh it's no use. Okay so maybe we are dating...but please don't tell Mami and Papi." I plead. "Please, Andres! We'll never see each other again!"

Andres used his gift of teleportation and opens a portal right to our house. "Let's go." He says with a flat tone.

Tears fill up my eyes. I suddenly feel a hand holding my own, and I see Camilo next to me with a comforting smile. I could tell he was trying to be strong for both of us. He squeezes my hand three times.

I love you.

I squeeze back as we walk through Andres' portal.