(4) Phoenix

I run through the forest as fast as I can. Leaves and branches scratch against me as I run, leaving small cuts on my already bruised skin. I could hear them. The yelling of the soldiers, the galloping of the horses they rode on. They had already murdered everyone from my village and burned the only home I had ever known to the ground.

I was the only thing left.

And they weren't going to stop until everything was gone.

The only light I could see was the light of the fire on their torches. I zigzag through the trees to throw them off my trail, but they persist and stay right on my tail. I suddenly trip on an exposed root of a tree and tumble to the ground. The world becomes hazy as my exhaustion kicks in.
How long had I been running? I try to get back up but my body refuses and only helplessly slumps back into the ground.

A new source of light enters my view as I see several silhouettes of people running towards me.

"Hang on!!"

The world goes black.

:-:-:-:-:

"Tia Julieta, I think she's waking up."

"Oh thank goodness. Stay with her Camilo. Mirabel, come with me please."

I slowly open my eyes and look around. I carefully sit up and take in my surroundings. I was laying on a bed in a bright yellow painted room. Sunlight generously poured into the room through one of the open windows, filling the room with a welcoming warmth. I notice a small, stuffed jaguar toy resting on the cyan bedspread. Sitting in a wooden chair at my bedside was a boy who seemed to be about my age. He had a mop of brown curly hair, and his rosy cheeks were covered by freckles. I felt drawn to him. Like I had a connection to this boy. Even though I didn't know him, I felt that I could trust him.

We both stare at each other for a few moments before he speaks up. "Are you alright?"

Those three words trigger an avalanche of memories inside of my head. My family. My home. The flames that hungrily swallowed my entire life. Everything I've ever known has become nothing but ashes floating through my memory.
Tears begin to fall from my eyes. They come raining down as I start to cry.

I'm alone...

I suddenly feel the warmth of touch as the boy wraps his arms around me. He doesn't say a word as I burrow my face into his shoulder, gently sobbing. He strokes my hair and lets me cry.

I'm quickly snapped away from my thoughts as I hear the door open. I jolt my head up, still feeling jittery when hearing unexpected noises. A woman who had her hair pulled up in a messy bun and who looked to be in her forties or fifties enters the room, holding a bowl of soup. A girl with green glasses and a brightly embroidered skirt follows behind, carrying a pair of clothes. "Uhh, what's going on in here?" She asks, wiggling her eyebrows at the boy.

The boy gets flustered as he quickly stands up. "WhAt's tHaT SuPoSeD tO MeAn?! She's upset, prima!"

The older woman looks at me and gasps. She quickly rushes to my side after seeing me looking so upset.

Guess the red eyes and tear-stained cheeks were a dead giveaway. I think to myself.

"Oh, niña..." She places the small bowl of soup in my lap and wipes a stray tear from my cheek. "Eat this. It'll help you feel better."

Even though I didn't have much of an appetite, I didn't want to hurt this woman's feelings. I slowly scoop up a spoonful of soup and bring it to my mouth. It tasted incredible; like a loving embrace.

I suddenly feel a wave of numbness wash over me; it only lasts a brief second. I glance down at my arms and gasp when I see all of the cuts and bruises that covered them moments ago were completely healed.