(5) Past, Present, Future -Phoenix pt.2-

After I had calmed down a bit, I felt ready to get dressed in the outfit Mirabel gave me. All I could think about was Camilo. His beautiful smile, comforting gaze, and adorable freckles. I genuinely felt better after telling him about my past, and I felt ready to finally meet his family.

Once Camilo leaves, I carefully slip off the nightgown I was wearing, and put on the (fc) dress Mirabel made. It was beautiful. Its long flowing skirt was embroidered with flowers, and the sleeves neatly rested off my shoulders. I pick up a comb, and gently brush through my tangled hair.

My eyes work their way to the door. Even though I felt worried about meeting the Madrigal familia, I also knew I couldn't stay in this room for the rest of my life. I put my hand on the doorknob, but hesitate to open it. I take a deep breath. C'mon, you can do this! I tell myself.

Before I had the chance to chicken out again, I open the door and walk out of the bedroom. I grin when I see that Camilo is waiting for me.

His face lights up when he sees me, and his cheeks quickly turn red. "You look nice." He manages to say.

"Thanks," I reply. I feel my cheeks grow warm, like a hot summer's day.

Camilo smiles and extends his hand out to me. "Are you ready?"

My cheeks feel even warmer, and I can only imagine how red they must be. Why does he have to be so cute?!

I place my hand in his own, and Camilo leads me to the stairwell. "Casita? A little help?" He calls out.

I wonder who in the world 'Casita' is, because from what I can see Camilo and I are the only ones here. We hop onto the first step, and the entire staircase flattens, creating a ramp. We slide down together, Camilo loudly cheering while I scream the whole way down. As we reach the bottom floor, I stumble forward a bit but Camilo catches me before I smack my face into the brick floor.
"You good?" He asks with a chuckle.

"What was that?!"

Camilo looks confused but then snaps his fingers in realization. "Ah, you're new, I forgot. Casita is the house. It's basically alive. Say hola Casita!" Camilo calls out.

In response, a window shutter begins swinging open and shut as if to say 'hi'.

I wave back. This is so weird...

Camilo leads me into another room and smiles as we walk. "We're just in time for lunch." Based on the stove and other cooking utensils, I'm assuming this room is the kitchen.

"And this is the most magical room in the house!" Camilo announces, swinging his arms out to gesture to the room.

"Why? Oh wait, let me guess...the oven magically makes food on its own?" I ask, expecting another insane thing to happen.

Camilo laughs. "Good one, but no."

"Camilo's just obsessed with food. You wouldn't believe how often he sneaks in here after everyone goes to sleep." A voice says from behind me.

I quickly spin around and come face to face with a young woman whose curly black hair was pulled back into a tight bun. A large red bow sat atop her head, matching her scarlet skirt perfectly.

"Ugh, you never let me do anything! Just let me live!" Camilo whines.

I giggle a bit. "Who are you?" I ask the woman.

"I'm Dolores, Camilo's older sister. And you're (Yn)." She says.

"How do you know that?"

"I can hear just about anything." Dolores points to her ears before letting out a small squeak and quickly walking onto the patio.

Camilo and I follow her lead and I get my first look at the entire Madrigal family. Sitting at the head of the table was the old woman from earlier, next to her was Julieta, then a woman with frizzy red hair I hadn't met before. A shorter man with poofy black hair that had gray streaks running through it was beside her, next to Dolores, and to her right was a small boy who looked a lot like the man with black hair. Across from him was a muscular woman, then a thin man with glasses, a beautiful young woman with flowers in her hair, next Mirabel, and finally a nervous older man wearing green with messy hair.

"Everyone, this is (Yn)!" Camilo announces to the Madrigals.

I shyly wave, feeling embarrassed as everyone's eyes land on me.

Camilo wraps his arm around my shoulder and begins introducing me to the members of his family. Even though everyone seemed super nice, I still couldn't get the thought of my own family to leave my head. It was like no matter how hard I tried, nothing could numb the pain.

After the introductions, I feel a pair of tiny arms wrap around my legs. I look down and see Camilo's little brother Antonio smiling up at me. "You should sit next to me! My animal friends warmed up your seat!"

My heart melts at the adorable boy below me. "Awe, of course!" I say with a smile.

Antonio happily grabs my hand and leads me over to my seat. Camilo sits down next to me and passes me a serving plate with an assortment of fruits and vegetables on it. As I place some apricots on my plate, I look around the table and bring up a question that had been on my mind. "How did you guys find me?"

"Tío Bruno had a vision about you," Mirabel says.

I notice Bruno out of the corner of my eye sinking deeper into his seat. Camilo sits Bruno up straight in his chair. "He's just being modest. We never would've found you if it weren't for him." Camilo gently nudged his uncle. "Last night Bruno had a vision of a girl running away from something in the forest, sure enough, when we checked it out, there you were. Luckily Luisa, Isabela, and Mami were there to fight off the soldiers who were chasing after you." He says.

I look around at the Madrigals. "You all have done so much for me, how can I ever repay you?"

Alma smiles at me. "We are the Madrigals, dear child. It is our job to help others; the same way our miracle helped us."

"If anything, I should be thanking you, (Yn)," Bruno says, giving me a teeny smile.

"What do you mean?"

Bruno chuckles. "My gift finally helped someone. Usually, my visions just predict bad things that can't be stopped."

"Really?" I skeptically ask.

Bruno nods and I smile at him.

Maybe this place could be home.

:-:Five Months Later:-:

It had been a few months since I had met the Madrigals, and my life finally felt normal again. Alma invited me to move into Casa Madrigal, and I happily agreed. Over time I felt better about sharing my story, and surprisingly, telling my tale of losing everything for the second time actually didn't hurt as bad as the first time.

A day doesn't go by that I don't miss my familia but over time I realized that they wouldn't have wanted me to waste my blessing of life by crying and dwelling on the past. I needed to look toward the future.

Now, I stayed in the nursery with Mirabel, and we had become super close friends. We did just about everything together. I honestly think that it helped Mirabel feel like less of an outcast now that she wasn't the only child in the house without a gift.

Tío Bruno and I have also grown close. He's introduced me to his rat friends and even let me watch him see into the future a couple of times. In a way, he's sort of becoming an adoptive father to me.

Everything was amazing.

Well, except for one thing.

Camilo.

Well...not that Camilo isn't amazing, it's the fact that I have a mega-duty crush on him.

And Mirabel knew it.