(15) Fiancé

"WHAT?!"

My dad sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. "You've known this day was coming, (Yn). Don't act so surprised."

"I didn't think it'd be happening so soon! I'm only sixteen!" I shoot back.

"You know how important this is! Our towns will finally become allies. This fighting can cease and we can combine our resources with Encanto!" My dad looks me square in the eyes. "You've only ever had one job to do in this town: marry Camilo Madrigal when you've come of age."

"I haven't even met him! You honestly expect me to marry a man I've never even met?"

My dad slams his fist down on the table. "Enough. You are being selfish. You're going to Encanto tomorrow, and you're going to marry him in one month. Understand?"

I look into my father's cold eyes. I knew I couldn't argue with him. "Yes sir." I weakly say.

:-:-:-:

I slowly walk down the small road to Casa Madrigal. Even though this was supposed to be a joyous occasion, it felt more like I was on a death march. Each step I took led me farther and farther away from my home and family, and closer to my fiancé.

My father looks over his shoulder at me and shoots me a glare. I quicken my pace to keep up with him.

We finally reach the front door. A loving family was carved into the large door, but their kind appearance didn't calm my nerves. My dad knocks on the door, and an old woman wearing a dark pink dress answers. "Ah, (fn). What a joy to see you." She sweetly says. Her eyes land on me. "And you must be (Yn)! What a fine young woman you've turned out to be."

I cringe. "Uh, thanks?"

She smiles. "My name is Alma Madrigal." The woman-Alma- steps to the side. "You can come in."

We enter the house, and I gasp in awe at how beautiful it turned out to be. It was colorful and full of life; like a rainbow.

"I'm glad you like our Castia. After all, it will soon become your new home." Alma says, placing a wrinkly hand on my shoulder.

I finch. I wasn't comfortable with this random woman touching me. "Heh, yeah..." I wearily respond.

My dad walks up and clears his throat. "So, Alma, where would you like to discuss the wedding plans?"

She chuckles. "Of course, right in the kitchen will be fine." Alma glances at me. "I'll have Casita fetch Camilo so you two can get to know one another."

Great...

I breathe a sigh of relief as the two adults leave the main courtyard of the house. "This is the worst," I mutter.

"Tell me about it."

I jump at least four feet into the air and let out a yelp in surprise. "Oh my gosh, you scared me!" I say while placing a hand on my chest.

I look at the voice and see a boy with caramel-colored skin and a mop of curly brown hair. He had adorable freckles decorating his cheeks and a bright yellow ruana over his shoulders. He chuckles. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's okay." I eye him up and down as a realization hits me. This must be Camilo. He looked to be about my age. "Are you...are you Camilo?" I hesitantly ask, not really wanting to know the answer.

He sighs and lazily bows. "The one and only." His voice is filled with defeat. "And you must be (Yn), right?"

"Yeah." I look at my feet. "Sorry, I didn't mean for you to hear that. About saying this was the worst? I'm sure you're a great guy and everything, but I'm just...I'm not ready."

"You and me both," Camilo says while crossing his arms. "Abuela is taking this too far. I can't believe she's marrying off her sixteen-year-old grandson to a stranger."

"I don't know...I love the idea of marrying a guy I've never met before." I sarcastically say.

Camilo chuckles. "You're funny, I'll give you that."

"Gee thanks."

Camilo and I smile at one another. The peace is broken as I almost instantly remember the situation we were in as my father and Alma enter the courtyard again.

Alma claps her hands together. "Good news! The wedding will take place one month from today!"

I feel my blood run cold. That soon? I cross my arms and look at the ground. I'm not ready, not yet. I-I can't... my train of thought whizzes around my head. It felt as though my whole world was caving in.

Camilo looks at me with sad eyes before Turing to his grandmother. "Abuela, please. This is happening way too fast. Can't you see that neither one of us is ready?"

Alma shoots a glare at Camilo. "This is what's best for our town, Nieto. I don't want to hear another word about it." I could hear the venom lacing her voice. She was like a cobra; ready to strike if provoked.

I can tell Camilo got the warning because he slowly backs up and hangs his head in defeat. "Yes, Abuela."

I'm about to say something to the horrible woman when my father glances at me with cold eyes. His actions were warning enough.

Camilo and I slowly back away. Our future was sealed.