Chapter 4: Attack of the Clones PT.4

Obi-Wan examines the transmitter dish and speaks with Arfour.

Obi-Wan: The transmitter is working, but we're not receiving a return signal. Coruscant's too far. Arfour, can
you boost the power?

Arfour beeps a reply.

Obi-Wan: We'll have to try something else.

Obi-Wan jumps into the cockpit.

Obi-Wan: Maybe we can contact Y/n and Anakin on Naboo. It's much closer. Anakin, Y/n, do you copy? This is Obi-Wan Kenobi. Anakin? They're not on Naboo, Arfour. I'm going to try and widen the search. I hope nothing's happened to them. Obi-Wan examines the transmitter dish and speaks with Arfour.

Obi-Wan : The transmitter is working, but we're not receiving a return signal. Coruscant's too far. Arfour, can
you boost the power?

Arfour beeps a reply.

Obi-Wan: We'll have to try something else.

Obi-Wan jumps into the cockpit.

Obi-Wan: Maybe we can contact Y/n and Anakin on Naboo. It's much closer. Anakin, Y/n, do you copy? This is Obi-Wan Kenobi. Anakin? They're not on Naboo, Arfour. I'm going to try and widen the search. I hope nothing's happened to them.

Obi-Wan sits in the Starfighter cockpit looking at a display. A Geonosian spies on Obi-Wan and his Starfighter from
an overlooking cliff.

Obi-Wan: That's Anakin's tracking signal all right, but it's coming from Tatooine. What in the blazes are they doing there? I told Anakin to stay on Naboo.

OBI-WAN exits the cockpit and jumps down to the ground. He speaks to Arfour.

OBI-WAN: All right. We're all set. We haven't much time. Y/n? Anakin, do you copy? This is Obi-Wan Kenobi.

In the ship on Tatooine, Artoo beeps as he receives the message.

Obi-Wan: (V.O.) Record this message and take it to your mistress, Padmé... and the Jedi Skywalker and Marek... "Anakin, Y/n, my long range transmitter has been knocked out. Retransmit this message to Coruscant."

Artoo dutifully listens to the desperate message. Obi-wan's voice cuts out. Artoo whistles in dismay.

Anakin rides the speeder bike toward the homestead. Shmi's body is tied to it. Y/n was already outside awaiting her return with his arms crossed and a look of concern mixed with sadness on his face. Owen, followed by Beru and Padmé, comes out of the homestead to meet Anakin. Threepio follows. Cliegg hobbles out of the homestead on his hovering chair. Anakin arrives. They run to her as she steps away from the bike, carrying Shmi. She stops, face-to-face with Cliegg. There is a brief pause. Then he carries Shmi into the homestead.

Padmé comes into the garage with a tray of food. Anakin is standing at a workbench, repairing a part of the speeder bike while Y/n leans against the wall with his arms still crossed.

Padmé: I brought you something. Are you hungry?

Anakin: The shifter broke. Life seems so much simpler when you're fixing things. I'm good at fixing things... always was. But I couldn't…

Anakin goes silent and stops working as there were tears in her eyes. 

Padmé looks over to Y/n who just nods, cueing her to set the tray down and walk out of the garage. Now, the two Jedi were alone in the garage.

Anakin: Why did she have to die? Why couldn't I save her? I know I could have!

Y/n: There's some things in the universe we just can't control, or fix. You're not all-powerful, Annie. None of us are.