Prologue

Warships Online, a game where you play with your chosen warships from during and after World War 2. The game itself is somewhat generic with a lot of mechanics. There are a lot of different combinations of play styles, with different ship types, classes, and tiers. Estimated at thirty million downloads and has a record for being the highest number of concurrent players with 883,482 on February 4, 20XX.

It is an open-world game where you can do anything you want. Sink a ship, bombard an island, and even live on an island of your choice.

As time passed, more and more people were getting interested and decided to play the game. Some use it as video content.

Nathan Esser has been playing the game since it was released.

He enrolled in a normal high school, graduated from a normal university, and started to work in a normal company at the age of twenty.

He worked from home using his new gaming pc which he received on his birthday. During his break, he ate the food he prepared and returned to work right after.

Errands and working overtime were practically nonexistent in small businesses. He spent every day without any complaints.

There was an online game called "Warships Online".

Nathan Esser took an interest after reading a message from his group online that a new game will be released in a day or two.

It has a video trailer aired at midnight. He had grown familiar with the workload and had time to spare. So he decided to watch it.

The trailer had a sound of metals, water, and explosions. The trailer also showcases warships in a battle, a fleet battle. At the end of the video, it shows a link access that had been projected for ten seconds.

After installing it, he played the game out of curiosity, and a title named "Warships Online" slowly appear in front. There were only two lines below it, the company name and a loading text.

There was a texture of metal for the background and a general character font. He did not know what sort of gameplay it will be.

Excited after the loading of the game, he proceeded to create his account as well as his avatar.

Thus, Nathan Esser began his everyday addiction to "Warships Online".

***

It has been five years since the game was released. Advertising of and related to the game, even in magazines were practically non-existent. However, the Internet spread the news of the game, four years ago. Until the game reached up to thirty-five million players, close to that of leading online games. It was even weird that it would get that many players considering its lack of presence in any media, except the internet.

Nathan, who had started playing since the release of the game, became known and regarded as a long-time player.

Five years ago, Nathan and the other long-time players decided to form a clan and rule a region from the game. This is to prevent other players from doing unnecessary things that will make the game unplayable.

Other players saw it and decided to do what Nathan and the others did. So, they also form a clan and rule a region. Therefore, seven clans were formed.

The game's company saw that the players were now taking control of the game. But instead of restricting them, the company gave them access to the part of the game for them to continue ruling their regions.

One day, Nathan was given the order to join and escort a shipping convoy with supplies inside and prevent them from getting sunk by a terrorist group. Just like in real life, if there's an organization, there is also a group that wants it gone.

Escort mission was a common thing. The clan had a turn system where Nathan and other clan members take their turns.

This time, it was Nathan's turn.

Using a Schlieffen Battleship, which he named "Leith", Nathan left his naval base as well as his home island and sailed to escort a convoy. In the real world, a growling sound from his stomach can be heard. At the same time, his ship was sailing in a calm sea and there was no danger ahead. So, he removed and put down the headphone from his head and went to eat dinner.

After logging off temporarily, he once again places the headphone on his head and went into the game again.

Inside the bridge, as he silently sails toward the convoy, he saw a reflection of his character in the ship's window.

It's the avatar that Nathan had made. He has black hair and red eyes, wearing a suit topped with a thick coat that can withstand the cold temperature of the sea.

Nathan spent less than one hour creating it in the guise of that figure because he based it on himself during his teenage time.

He named it Nathaniel von Gantzmann, nicknamed "Nathan" and a ship's captain. Of course, all players will start as a captain. He chose to be in a control of a battleship as soon as he joined the game.

Despite upgrading his ship, he didn't learn any skills automatically, because it isn't included in the game. In addition, there were no instructions or tutorials that instruct and help the players.

In the game, he just spawned in the world with a ship of his choosing, but exploring everything by himself was fun too.

When clans were formed, there were a lot of complaints because of the clan having constant battles with other clans that even a new player will be caught up in their fight. However, a player by chance shook the game by becoming a president.

Admirals, the leaders of each seven clans, agreed in having a unification and decided to form a nation. They call it the "Heptaclan Federation".

After that happened, people were able to enjoy a variety of playstyles. There were those who burned with ambition to establish a clan or nations, those that longed for government positions, those who loved freedom and adventure, those who created secret societies, and those who became merchants and rebels. Because of this, complaints gradually recede.

As Nathan sailed with his Battleship, he saw a fleet consisting of 4 cargo ships, 2 cruisers on each side of the convoy, and 1 destroyer in front. They were heading to supply and support another clan named "Liberty Clan", a clan for all new and starting players.

Following a message, he was ordered to position his battleship at the back of the convoy, which he immediately followed.

Their travels were going smoothly. No enemies and no problem with the currents.

It took five days in the game world for them to arrive at their destination and two hours in the real world.

The workers unload the cargo from the ships, While Nathan watches them from the deck of his ship.

As he watch them doing their work, Nathan yawned and immediately was attacked by an intense feeling of sleepiness.

Nathan messaged his group and they immediately received it without a problem, but when he tried to touch the menu for the purpose of logging out, the world blacked out for him and Nathan fell asleep.