Chapter 16: Past (Part 2)

As the duchess and her daughter fled from the besieged duchy, their carriage led them through the dense forests and treacherous terrain.

"Your Grace, we're almost at the city. A ship has been prepared!" The guard shouts as he sits beside the coachman.

The port city loomed ahead, a beacon of hope amidst the demonic onslaught that had engulfed not just the duchy, but perhaps the entire kingdom.

As they traversed the dense forest, fear and despair mingled in the hearts of the young lady and the duchess. The distant cries of battle and the clash of swords reverberated through the trees, a haunting reminder of the chaos that pursued them relentlessly.

"We must hurry," the Duchess urged, her voice tinged with urgency as she wrapped her young daughter in a protective embrace.

The guard, his gaze fixed on them through the window of the carriage, nodded in worry, his expression grim. With a deep breath, he turned to the coachman and urged him to quicken the pace, the urgency of their situation weighing heavily upon them all.

Then the pace quickened, so too did the pursuit of the demons.

"Faster!" the guard pleaded urgently, as his eyes darting around, scanning the horizon for any sign of danger.

"But sir! The horses can't hold on much longer!" The coachman protested with his voice strained with the effort of driving the carriage to its limit.

"We have no choice!" the guard insisted. "We must reach the ship at the city before it's too late!"

With a big breath, the coachman held the reins tight and made the horses go faster, pushing them hard as they ran down the bumpy road toward the port city. Sweat dripped from his forehead as he struggled to stay in charge. All his muscles worked hard to keep the carriage moving forward.

Behind them, the demons continued their pursuit, kicking up dust as they went. The remnants of the duchy's army now left to just one carriage, carrying the duchess and her daughter.

"Sir! We're about to — Aargh!" The coachman's words were cut short as an arrow struck him in the head.

An archer from the demon forces stood atop a tree, waiting for the right moment to attack.

The coachman fell to the ground with a thud, and his grip on the reins slipped away. The horses were startled by the sudden turn of events and veered off course, their feet pounding against the rugged terrain as they threatened to bolt in every direction.

But before the chaos could fully reign, the guard sprang into action. With fast reflexes, he lunged forward and took hold of the reins with a firm grip.

"Steady now, steady" he muttered as he attempted to calm the horses. He guided the horses back on course. As the carriage regained its momentum, the guard gave a small glance towards the fallen coachman.

Finally, they emerged from the forest, the port city lay before them. The scene before them painted a picture of chaos and desperation.

Beka, the port city, which was once busy with trade and business, was now a mess. People rushed around in a panic, their faces showing fear as they desperately looked for safety from the looming danger.

Ships float in the harbor, with their sails flowing in the wind as merchants hurriedly loaded their precious cargo onto waiting vessels, their movements frantic as they sought to escape the impending disaster.

As they navigated through the chaos of the port city, they soon reached the ship with its sails blowing in the wind, ready to depart.

"Your Grace! There's the ship!" The guard informed as he pointed out the vessel.