01

Chapter One:

'I was made for loving you' blasted through Jessica's ears as she biked down the streets of Hawkins.

She loved the feeling of the cold air blowing through her hair and the red and orange leaves which fell on the ground.

Jessica made a turndown on Old Cherry Road which was where she spotted a moving truck.

She slowly biked past to get a view of who was moving in but didn't see much. She continued to bike around the streets until the sun began to set and she headed home.

Some roads had crumbled up flyers 're-elect Larry Kline for mayor!'.

Jessica hated her father more than anything, he was selfish, snotty and rude.

She checked her watch. '6:56'. She had to be home before seven so she biked faster. She made it home out of breath and barely a minute late.

"You're late" was the first thing she heard once she walked inside. "I'm aware" Jessica muttered and ran to the kitchen for dinner.

She sat down and made sure her back was straight so no one could correct her about it.

Jessica didn't just hate her dad but she hated family dinners because no one said anything during them.

It was always so awkward. Kimberly sometimes would say something to start a conversation but the conversation would die quickly.

Winnie who was their father's wife would always talk about something stupid to do with her and her friends or her aerobic exercises and Larry would just talk shit about Hopper.

Jessica normally didn't say anything, she knew she would get ignored if she said anything or would start an argument based on her opinion even if she just said her favourite colour was pink or if she liked a movie.

The quiet sound of classical music playing from a vinyl was the only comforting thing about the dinner, as well as the smell of the fresh food that had just been in the oven minutes before she sat down.

The music sounded like something which would play during a ballroom dance.

Jessica always had a creative imagination, she loved art, reading and writing.

It was something she used to escape whenever her dad was drunk or yelling at her for not being good enough for their family.

Her sister Kimberly always told her that was bullshit and that he was the one who wasn't good enough for their family. She wasn't wrong.

Kimberly brought up a conversation and talked about how her debate went in debate club and I drifted it off and started at random paintings on the wall, we had many.

"Jessica why can't you be more like Kimberly and join debate club or something" her dad mumbled.

"Because there isn't a debate club in my school?" Jessica replied which sounded a lot more like a question. Her dad rolled his eyes and continued talking about random things that came to his mind until everyone finished their dinner.

Jessica went straight to my room and started reading until she heard a quiet knock on my door. "You can come in Kim".

"Just checking on you since dad was a bit harsh" she mumbled and looked around her room since she had redecorated it for the fifth time this week. "He's always harsh".

"You're not wrong. I'm just saying you don't have to be like me. Being me sucks".

"No, it doesn't. You're perfect" Jessica replies as she places her book down. "Perfect is a strong word".