04

Chapter Four,

"1776," Kimberly said proudly before putting her hand down. "Once again, you are correct Kimberly"  the teacher mumbled with a small eye roll.

Everyone else in the classroom groaned, even the teacher was sick of her. At this point, she was teaching the lesson. Yet no one said anything to her since they were afraid. 

She could make anyone cry by just staring at them.

Once she was at a school debate and she made a guy cry from the opposite team, she became unbeatable. And she aced every single test.

Sometimes people would copy her so she wrote down the wrong answer for all of the questions and when they would hand in their tests she would quickly change all her answers.

Her grades were perfect scores, her skin was perfect she was never once seen with a pimple, she got a full eight hours of sleep every night and her teeth were straight without even needing braces.

She knew everyone hated her, it was what she hated about herself. She didn't have any friends. She did a year prior however she slowly realizes whenever you hung out she would be the one spending money and they hated how careful she was when spending it.

She spent her lunches in her car or sometimes outside while reading. And she often cried herself to sleep because of how much she hated herself. 

She's never been to a party, never had her first kiss, never smoked, never drank, never broken a single rule in her life.

Everyone knew she existed, everyone knew to avoid her, not to talk to her, not to look her in the eye and never debate anything against her or else she could make your life hell.

October 31, 1984,

The blonde girl wore a flowy dress up to her knees. She wore dr martens and butterfly wings and eyeliner to complete the look. Even from miles away she could smell the cheap beer and sweaty teenagers coming from Tina's house.

She slowly walked in and contemplated every dissension she made leading up to this. Everyone was probably drunk anyway, no one would recognize her.

☆ ゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

"We've got ourselves a new Keg King, Harrington" Tommy bragged as he stepped closer to Steve. "Yeah, that's right!" Some of the other basketball boys yelled. "Eat it, Harrington".

Steve took his sunglasses off and stared Billy down. Just as Nancy left Tommy paid attention to the blonde girl who just walked in. "Shit" he muttered as he lit a cigarette and pulled it to his lips.

"What's wrong with her?" Billy asked. "She's the mayor's daughter, she's probably going to call the cops and shut this party down".

"Or maybe she's here to enjoy her Halloween like everyone else," Steve said which only made the three boys glare at him. "Just an idea," he said as he walked back over to Nancy.

"Hey... Whoa, whoa! Hey... Whoa, whoa, whoa! Take it easy! Nance, Nance, Nance!" Steve yelled as he tried to take the plastic cup away from her. 

"We're being stupid teenagers for the night. Wasn't that the deal?" she said as she filled the cup back up and joined the rest of the crowd.

Steve leaned into the counter and noticed another girl drinking beside him. "Are you drinking?". "Yes? What does it look like I'm doing?" Kimberly asks as she leans into the wall behind her.

Steve threw his hands up in defence. "Sorry, smart-ass".

His eyes widened as a response and he looked over at her, she just smiled. And the regret from what he just said washed away. She filled up her cup and walked away. "Ok then" Steve mumbled and walked over to Nancy.

☆ ゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

"No, no, no" Steve mumbled as he tried to stop Nancy from getting another drink. "Get off" she muttered and pushed him away. "No, you've had enough, okay?".

"Screw you!" she yelled and grabbed another cup. "Nance, I'm serious. Hey. Hey. Stop! I'm serious. Put it down" he said as he got a hold of the cup, the two started playing tug of war between the cup until it spilled all over Nancy's white sweater.

Everyone gasped and pulled their attention toward the couple. "What the hell?" Nancy asked after taking a minute to process what happened and then ran to the bathroom with Steve following behind her.

"Nance, I'm sorry".

Nancy ignored him and attempted to wipe off the stain on her shirt. "It's not coming off, Nance". "Come on. Let me just take you home, okay?".

"You wanted this".

"No, I didn't want this. I told you to stop drinking" he said as he tried taking the wet towel away from her. "It's bullshit. Bullshit".

"No, it's not bullshit, okay?".

"No, you. You're bullshit".

"What?".

"You're pretending like everything is okay. You know like we didn't kill Barb. Like, it's great. Like, we're in love and we're partying. Yeah, let's party, huh? We're partying. This is bullshit".

"Like we're in love?".

"It's bullshit".

"You don't love me?".

"It's bullshit".

The first idea that came to Steve's head was to leave, leave the bathroom, leave the party and go home. 

He walked outside and sat on the curb of the street without even realizing Kimberly was right beside him.

"What happened with you?" she asked. "Jesus! When did you get here?".

"An hour ago?" she mumbled and handed him a chip bag. "Where did you get this?".

"Tina's kitchen".

He didn't answer but he did take a handful of chips. "Do you wanna talk... About what happened?" she asked.

He shook his head. "No".

"Ok".

"Nancy kept drinking and I tried to get her to stop but she wouldn't listen to me and then I accidentally spilt the drink all over her shirt, turns out everything was bullshit and she never loved me".

Kimberly raised her eyebrows and looked at the ground, she kicked a small rock with her shoe before saying anything. 

"Um, I'm not best at relationship advice or anything but sometimes when people are drunk they don't mean what-".

"She meant it".

"How do you know?".

"I just do".

"Okay," Kimberly muttered and tried to think of something else to say. "I'm sorry, I think I ate all your chips".

"It's fine their not mine".

Steve smiled and then looked back at his shoes. "I'm sorry I'm not much help. The only advice I could give you is what I learn from movies which would lead to you standing in front of her house with a boombox at eight in the morning".

Steve laughed as he dug threw the chip bag for any remaining chips. "Why did you come here?" he blurted.

"I don't know, I was bored and I didn't have anything else other than to do other than watch movies with my sister Jessica. Shit, I have to go, you can have the rest of the chips if there are any, I'm sorry about you and Nancy and uh I will see you around" Kim says before running to her car.

"Bye" Steve mumbles as he watches her leave.