14

Chapter Fourteen,

May 29, 1985,

Jessica always preferred staying inside rather than being outside. Especially during the summer. The air was much warmer and her sun always burnt no matter how many layers of sunscreen she wore. She hated when it was hot outside.

Somehow everyone convinced her to hang out at the public pool that opened up a week ago.

She had to admit it was fun until she saw her mom hanging out with another group of Hawkin's moms, including Mike's mom.

Billy was flirting with all of them. Especially Jess's and Mike's mom. Ever since then she decided she would never go to the pool again.

Before Dustin left for camp everyone hung out every day to try and get the best out of their summer. 

One memory which stood out the most was the time when Dustin, Lucas, and Jess were biking around downtown Hawkins at night. Max was trailing behind them on her skateboard.

They took a break to get some food and drinks from the local gas station and Dustin thought of an idea.

"I wonder what would happen if we tied a piece of rope onto one of our bikes and someone stands on the skateboard, holding the rope"

"What?" everyone else replied. "You know like wake surfing but without a surfboard, it's a skateboard and without a boat, it's a bike" he explained. Everyone thought the idea was stupid but they were also curious.

Max went back to her house and brought a skipping rope and then tied it to Dustin's bike.

"Who's up first?" Dustin asks. "No thanks," Kess quickly replies. "I'll go" Max suggests.

They all started to realize how stupid this was because when you're over the water it's ok to fall. However, there wasn't any water so if you were to fall most likely you would scrape your knees on the cement.

Max didn't even look scared, as if she's done this before. She grabbed the rope and hopped on the skateboard. "Ok, go!" she yelled.

Dustin started biking, and everything was fine. He started biking faster and Max didn't even fall.

She got off and Lucas decided to go on. It worked out for about two minutes until he fell off.

Everyone ran over to him to check if he was ok but he was just laughing. "Other than the falling off part it was fun"

"Dustin? Jess? Do you want to try?" Max asks and they both shake their heads. "Chickens"

⭑·゚゚·*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*·゚゚·⭑

"Why do you have so many Wonder Women comics?" Jess asks while flipping threw Max's comic book collection. "You ask that every time you come here"

"I swear every time I look at your collection twenty other comics appear and I come here almost every day"

Max laughed quietly before holding out two VHS tapes.  "The shinning' and 'Carrie'. "Which one?"

Jessica sat next to her on the bed and pointed at 'Carrie'. "Good choice" Max mumbled as she got up to play the movie.

It was already late and they were already tired so they didn't make it threw the whole movie. Jess rested her head on Max's shoulder as she curled up to her.

Max rested her head on top of hers and drifted asleep as the movie continued playing.

⭑·゚゚·*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*·゚゚·⭑

Lucas rolled a long piece of paper along the floor. "We're going to write, 'welcome home'"

"Yeah, no shit. What else are we supposed to write?" Mike scoffed. "I don't know. 'we missed you?'" Lucas suggested.

Max, Jess and Will ignored them and started writing and drawing on the paper as Lucas and Mike continued arguing.

Once they finally finished Lucas spilt a glass of water all over the paper.

"Lucas!"

"It's ok, I have another paper" he muttered and everyone rolled their eyes and groaned.

On their second attempt, they wrote 'welcome home' however the spacing was off so some letters looked way bigger than others. "It looks so bad" Will mumbles.

"It's the thought that counts" Mike adds. Everyone discussed their plan about meeting at Dustin's house to surprise him the next day.

Max and Jess leave the house. "Do you want to go to the movies with Lucas, Will, Mike and me?" she asks as she picks up her skateboard. "Sure, when are you going?"

"Not till later. I'll call you"

Lucas walks over and wraps his arm around her. Jess stood awkwardly beside the couple as she waited for Will. "I'll see you later," Max says before hopping on her skateboard and leaving with Lucas.

"Gross" Will says as he walks over to Jess. "It is gross" she replies with a small smile. "what's wrong?" she asks once she realizes he looks upset. "Nothing"

"No seriously, what's wrong?"

"Mike got mad at me, I asked him if we could play d&d later and he told me he's busy with El"

"He probably isn't mad at you, just annoyed because he wants to spend time with El, alone. And we've been over at their house all day"

He still looks upset. "We can play d&d together"

"You can't play with two people"

"You're right, but when Dustin gets back we can all play together"

He gave a half-smile before hopping on his bike. The two biked to Will's house first. Ever since the Upside Down and everything he's had a fear of biking home alone so Jess waited until he got inside to bike back home.

The second she walked into her house she was reminded that she was late. Since her father got re-elected as mayor he was more bitchy than ever. When she got to the table he was talking about the mall.

Which was his idea. And he makes sure everyone knows that because in every conversation about the mall he has to bring up the fact that he's the one who thought of it.